Author Topic: How to disable jumping to live TV when starting mythtv frontend  (Read 5654 times)

etNHGfU8

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
How to disable jumping to live TV when starting mythtv frontend
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »
How does one disable jumping to live TV when the MythTV frontend is started? It doesn't appear to be MythTV related because I couldn't find a setting for it and my frontend running on my notebook doesn't default to that behavior.

I just about never watch live TV so this behavior is extremely annoying especially if I'm recording a sporting event and it jumps to it so now I know the score.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: How to disable jumping to live TV when starting mythtv frontend
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:05:17 pm »
Don't select TV, but select Video and the recording you want to watch.

etNHGfU8

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »
I much prefer the MythTV interface. Is the annoying behavior hard-coded into LinuxMCE?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:39 pm »
I agree, also for testing it sucks biggy.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »
This functionality is intentional and integral to how lmce functions and works.  The system 'uses' mythtv (or vdr) to provide recording (and scheduling) and livetv viewing functionality.  If you wish to use mythtv standalone you should really look at the mythbuntu distribution.

J.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »
Just a question
With UI1, if you move the mouse, why don't you get an overlay screen as with playing video/dvd's

etNHGfU8

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:50:13 am »
This functionality is intentional and integral to how LinuxMCE functions and works.  The system 'uses' mythtv (or vdr) to provide recording (and scheduling) and livetv viewing functionality.  If you wish to use mythtv standalone you should really look at the mythbuntu distribution.

J.

OK, the "TV" button accesses live TV, fine. I choose LinuxMCE because it offers more than just MythTV and I want to make use of those capabilities.

Initially I thought that the Video GUI was pretty nice, but now that I have 100s and 100s and 100s of videos I find that it basically sucks. That's what's nice about the MythTV frontend, it nicely categorized the shows. If my daughter wanted to watch Animalia then she would move to that category and select a show, if she wanted to watch Word Girl then she would move to that category and select a show, and this was very easy for her to perform. She could quickly examine the descriptions of the shows and select one. Doing the same thing from the LinuxMCE Video GUI is very tedious.

Is the Video GUI cast in stone or can it be extended? Maybe it could make use of the categories from MythTV as well. Maybe it could display the description of a video without going to the sub-screen and then maybe the left/right buttons could move between videos so descriptions can be quickly reviewed.

- Tom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:04:40 am »
Just a question
With UI1, if you move the mouse, why don't you get an overlay screen as with playing video/dvd's

I'm not sure.

tschak knows more about Orbiter than anyone and I believe he did a redesign of the mythtv ui1 interface some time ago.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:18:03 am »
OK, the "TV" button accesses live TV, fine. I choose LinuxMCE because it offers more than just MythTV and I want to make use of those capabilities.

I havn't tried this myself so I'm really not sure if you can do this but..  You may be able to manually create a scenario that executes an application (say mythfrontend) without starting the pluto mythtv player.  If a scenario can't do it then perhaps adding it to the computing menu.  These are not baked in solutions and would require some experimenting to even attempt.

Is the Video GUI cast in stone or can it be extended? Maybe it could make use of the categories from MythTV as well. Maybe it could display the description of a video without going to the sub-screen and then maybe the left/right buttons could move between videos so descriptions can be quickly reviewed.

- Tom

Have you tried the 'options->search' feature in orbiter?  It's not quite as friendly, but works well.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 01:28:49 pm »
Take a look at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Customize_Media_Listing

After a short bit of playing around with it, you should be able to fabricate a solution, that might work for your kids.