AgoControl > Developers

LinuxMCE / KNX hardware requirement for lighting solution.

(1/4) > >>

ggraja:
I am new to LinuxMCE

I have been exploring Home automation and in due coarse with Hari's encouragement and a google video on LinuxMCE I decided that I would use LinuxMCE for my project.

I was considering a Z-Wave Vera based solution with ACT Dimmers to kick off my HA project, I was going to later add a Global Cache GC-100 for interacting with my AV equipment. A NAS device for storing media. I would later expand the project scope by including network media players for each room, IP cameras Schlage Z-Wave deadbolt locks.

In the course of my exploration I happened to write an email to Hari and that changed things forever. He was kind to reply and suggested I use KNX/Instabus for my HA project.

I did not know anything about LinuxMCE or KNX, sleepless nights and google kind of helped me scratch the surface.

So here I am looking for links documents on KNX implementation and Hardware. Can someone using KNX help me the the Hardware they use for lighting solution. I have read on multiple forums about Z-Wave status polling either delayed or at times inaccurate. I am looking for a solution that can use KNX and Z-Wave together. As well as exploring solutions to eliminate Z-Wave completely and depend only on KNX.

Looking for all the help I can get. I am in India and on 220V.

Marie.O:
I don't know about products available in the Indian market place. I am using KNX stuff from MDT Automation. Good price and quality imho.

You need
* a KNX PSU
* a gateway to access KNX from the computer (I am using an IP/KNX gate, but there are others available)
* KNX actuators to control the lights
* KNX sensors to give input (the switches the user presses, or the motion sensors that send telegrams to the actors to switch lights)

The actuators are centrally installed in the switch panel. The sensors are locally installed. All actuators and sensors are connected with a KNX cable.

ggraja:
Thank you for your reply

ABB products are availaible in India. I am meeting a sales guy tomorrow.

In the mean time after reading a lot about KNX and going through some manuals. I have understood a few basics. I have gone through the product manual of DALI-Gateway DG/S 8.1 from ABB since I was interested in lighting and everywhere I explored the only word people swear by is DALI. I have figured out the wiring and working of DALI-Gateway. I figured out that I need a IP/KNX gateway to interface with my LAN there by enabling me to connect my computer to assign addresses to each of the lighting nodes.

I have read about EnOcean Radio Receiver. This does not fit into my scheme of things. I am planning on using an IPOD Touch / IPAD / Android phone / pad as the controller. I have also decided that LinuxMCE will be my chosen platform, since there would be a lot of media streaming involved once we are done with the lighting.

I am trying to figure out what happens if something goes wrong with the network and since I do not have any physical switches, and there would be no way of getting to control the lights. Me and my friend discussed this at length and he was strongly suggesting Z-wave since it fits into the existing conventional wiring and the worst case scenario, we get rid of the Z-wave switch and install a normal physical switch. To be honest the promotional Video of Micasaverde Vera got me interested in HA, but sadly no hardware or support is availaible in India. I have to deal with two standards and source my equipment from Europe, since US is on 110V and to make matters worse there is a different frequency for India (http://www.z-wave.com/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=2 India: 865.22 MHz CEPT*: 868.42 MHz ). So if Z-Wave does launch in India my existing investment is down the tube. I have written to Z-Wave, not even an automated mail which is the least you would expect of a global alliance. so long story short, Z-wave is out of my scheme of things.

I am sure KNX being a standards based system someone has already figured out what to do incase the network goes down. Any help is welcome, I am a voracious reader and worked with Hardware technical support for Dell as well as troubleshooting network issues for Verizon. So I will figure out building the computers, NAS boxes, dlna network media players. Right now I need to know what to if and when things don't work as planned with my lighting.

hari:
Enocean does not use batteries, so you can use e.g. a wireless switch to control knx or enocean actuators

Br hari

ggraja:
Thank you hari for the reply. And thanks so much for replying to my post, you are the one who has show me the right direction and opened my eyes to KNX.

I understand Enocean does not use a battery, but I would need to buy the hardware which is redundant since I would be using IPOD touch as the chosen way to interact.

And I don't see how that will solve the problem that may arise when there is a network/controller failure. I need help on a solution to lighting incase of a system failure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version