Author Topic: Rookie in need of some help  (Read 15016 times)

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rookie in need of some help
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 08:18:48 pm »
ok got updates to go through also did the /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh, which took a good bit of time to do. Once that was finished I restarted the core. Then once back up and running I turned my director in the new room on but still getting the same message where it could not find or connect to dhcp?

Maybe my cables are not hooked up correctly? Once again my main internet line comes from my cable modem to the core, then a line runs from the core to my netgear wireless router to the internet port on the router, then all the other computers in the house hook up to the router the way they would in a normal situation. On my linuxmce core I set it up as dhcp, on my netgear router I tried disabling and enabling dhcp neither did anything. On my admin page for lmce network settings eth0 = external, eth1 = internal.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:03:39 pm by jaynkeel »

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 09:24:40 pm »
Maybe my cables are not hooked up correctly? Once again my main internet line comes from my cable modem to the core, then a line runs from the core to my netgear wireless router to the internet port on the router, then all the other computers in the house hook up to the router the way they would in a normal situation.

You are basically using the netgear router as a switch, correct? You don't need to use the 'internet' port on the router at all. Just use the regular ethernet inputs, one would be from the core and the rest for your internal network.

Barney

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 11:31:08 pm »
ok got it fixed the proper way, now all my other computers in the house are working mce core is functioning, new media director was recognized and began downloading image to it. On the new media director I saw the kubuntu splash screen then it went to a flashing cursor dot which is where i am at now. I heard these can take a long time to set up so I will leave it sit for a while. Many many thanks to everyones help it has saved me from going bonkers. And many many thanks to the people who created and continue to invest their time into Linuxmce as it is a wonderful and amazing piece of equipment. What can I say I'm hooked. I am sure I will have many more questions in the future and perhaps along the way I can help someone else out to....

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »
Ok but what was your fault?

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 12:01:41 am »
Might have been that bowl of stupid I had for breakfast!!!! ;D On a lighter note I had the cables hooked up wrong and couldn't get the media director to access the core. Once I re did the cables internet from the cable modem into the router then all devices and the core hooked to the router letting the netgear do it's normal thing, everything popped up and was recognized. As far as the software updates for the core went I added:

deb http://fastspeedtest.net/mirrors/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://fastspeedtest.net/mirrors/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://fastspeedtest.net/mirrors/ubuntu/ intrepid-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://ubuntu.k-net.ru/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ubuntu.k-net.ru/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ubuntu.k-net.ru/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ubuntu.k-net.ru/ubuntu/ intrepid-security main restricted universe multiverse

then did the update and then installed the image and everything started working from there on out so far
I do have some issues still, as I can no longer log into the admin page from the computer I am typing this on, once again from the core i can log in and internet works from the core as in weather & youtube. And I am still waiting on the media director to boot all the way up, i do get a kubuntu screen then it goes to a flashing dot so i was playing it safe and just letting it be for a bit.

***Update****

Guess I didn't quite get it yet, as the media director won't boot up fully, getting a kernal panic and with the admin page not functioning on remote pc's something must still be amiss, has to be the cableing right?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:39:57 am by jaynkeel »

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:10 am »
Cableing issue taken care of media director showing up in dhcp leases as moon 40. But whenever I try to net boot I get it to load up to the kubuntu bar and then it goes to a blinking white cursor? I have been chasing this thing all day now and am running out of ideas.

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »
Cableing issue taken care of media director showing up in dhcp leases as moon 40. But whenever I try to net boot I get it to load up to the kubuntu bar and then it goes to a blinking white cursor? I have been chasing this thing all day now and am running out of ideas.

I don't have a Revo so I don't think I can help too much, but... Does your Acer Revo have a wireless card?  If so, check out the wiki page for instructions on disabling it.
Eric Severance
My setup

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »
Nope just the R1600, no wireless. I have seen some of the threads that deal with the revo's but being a noob if the directions aren't layed out simple I fear I'll screw it up. And most of those threads deal with wireless which isn't my problem, it is weird though.
#   IP Address   MAC Address   Expires   Status   Hostname   Description   Device
0   192.168.80.2   90:FB:A6:2D:DB:61   --   static   moon50   Generic PC as MD   50
1         --   static      DCERouter   2
2         --   static      DCERouter   2
3         --   static      DCERouter   2
4         --   static      DCERouter   2

Thats what my dhcp lease lists so I am pretty sure the revo is detected just must be something on the revo's end just not sure how to troubleshoot it?

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 08:25:45 pm »
Which kubuntu bar are you getting?  The one that moves back and forth across the screen, or the one that moves from left to right?  If it's the former I'd say this is a kernel issue and maybe it is not properly connecting back to the core correctly after initially downloading the kernel.

Try this...  In a terminal window type:
  ls /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/

You should see a file named after the MAC address of your MD.  Edit that file
  sudo nano /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/<mac_address>

Inside the file you'll see a line that looks like this:
APPEND initrd=50/initrd.img ramdisk=10240 rw root=/dev/nfs boot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.80.1:/usr/pluto/diskless/50 quiet splash

Modify that line by removing the quiet and splash from the end.  This will turn off the splash screen and let you see any errors coming from the kernel.
Eric Severance
My setup

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 09:07:07 pm »
Ok after removing the quiet splash and rebooting the md I end up with a prompt saying network is unreachable after a whole bunch of other information.

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24:47 pm »
Ok after removing the quiet splash and rebooting the md I end up with a prompt saying network is unreachable after a whole bunch of other information.

I should have warned you about information overload on those screens.  :D Could you provide us with the exact error you are getting?  Or maybe upload a picture of the error screen with enough detail so we can read the error?
Eric Severance
My setup

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »
Nope just the R1600, no wireless.

Are you sure the revo doesn't have a wireless card installed? Many do. This is a known hardware problem and you have to blacklist the device as described in the wiki.
Barney

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 10:27:22 pm »
No wifi built in I bought the cheaper model when I bought it, double checked the product card to make sure and nothing listed for wifi so unless it's buried in there and I havn't noticed yet!!! Model #AR1600-U910H. Included a snapshot of the screen where it ends with the flashing cursor and prompt.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:37:40 am by jaynkeel »

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:04 pm »
That ip address is not on the internal network. Double check your cabling.

The cable modem should only be attached to your core. You still appear to have networking issues.
Barney

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:41 pm »
Ok I can switch it back around, the only reason I had it that way was when I was troubleshooting everytime I reset the core I lost all internet connections on my other computers and was annoying the wifey!!! Makes sense that overlooking that might be the cause of the problem and the solution might have been in front of my face.  Fingers crossed this is the simple fix I will let you know soon...