Author Topic: Rookie in need of some help  (Read 15007 times)

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Rookie in need of some help
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:25:55 am »
Ok first time user of linuxmce. Installed 8.10 everything looks great and I even got some of my x10 things working. Problem is with media director. Gone through all the links on the internet I could find with no luck. Heres my setup, Ethernet cable from my cable modem to my core/ media director, another ethernet cable from my core/ media director to a netgear wireless router where everything else in my house hooks to. When I try to netboot my acer revo it never connects? I have tried to run the /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh because I thought thats what was wrong but still nothing. Nothing ever pops up on my core saying something new was detected not even a usb drive with music on it? I figure I must be missing something major in my install or something?  ???

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Rookie in need of some help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:32:57 am »
is dhcp activated? what ip-adress is assigned for internal network? does internet work?

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:37:53 am »
yes dhcp is active, ip 192.168.80.1, internet as in browsing youtube channel and such yes that works

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:46 am »
hmm sounds alright...

So you try to PXE boot but it can't find any ip to connect with? Any failure messages?

sorry, can't help a lot...

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:35 am »
USB drives with music are not best practice.
Try to insert a music CD, and you will see something will pop up on your screen.
Also you should try to copy a lot of files through the network. go to \\192.168.80.1 and put the files in the appropriate folders.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 12:15:29 pm »
Is your netgear router running dhcp? If so maybe it is conflicting with the core.

It is necessary to run /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh once to get your mds working. This takes a long time.

Barney
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:20:16 pm by b4rney »

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 12:30:07 pm »
Is your netgear router running dhcp? If so maybe it is conflicting with the core.

It is necessary to run /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh once to get your mds working. This takes a long time.

Barney
Also make sure sources.list is correct, otherwise problems may occur.

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 01:21:04 pm »
Some things that can go wrong (if you didn't do it already):

As I understand your description, your router is hooked up inside the linuxmce subnet (Otherwise disregard my answer).

- Turn off DHCP on your router
- Do not use WAN/Internet port on router, only LAN ports
- Set the ip address of the router to something in MCE subnet address space (i.e 192.168.80.NNN)
- Remove the routers ip address from the MCE DHCP address space to avoid conflict. This is done in the MCE web admin.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:06 pm »
Agree with bongowongo about the sources.list.

Change all references to 'archive' or 'security' to 'old-releases' AND remove any local references (e.g. gb.archive.ubuntu.com becomes old-releases.ubuntu.com).

Then rerun /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh.
Hope this helps
Barney

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 03:41:39 pm »
Thanks for all the replies so far everyone I will try some of the suggestions, the image I used I downloaded around oct 28 not sure if that makes a difference? Is this something common to always have to do during a first setup, as far as changing the places where the updates come from? Or does it usually just work from the get go on it's own? As far as the /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh goes I have tried several times only to get the wait 10sec message repeatedly.

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 03:51:38 pm »
OK so how do I pull up the sources list to adjust them if they are incorrect?

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 04:03:55 pm »
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Also look at this post, there is an example of somebody's sources.list that is working.
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10917.msg75673#msg75673

Richard

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 04:31:13 pm »
ok went and adjusted the source list just getting permission denied and operation not permitted along with the same package failed, gonna have to reread what I changed.

bongowongo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »
are sure you did sudo

jaynkeel

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »
forgot the first time, got the downloads to go when I remembered to do sudo, now after it doing it's thing for a bit i get package pluto orbiter failed wait 10 sec try again? seemed like it was clipping along fine then got snagged there. From what I can tell some kind of error to do with sun java? If that helps any.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:10:41 pm by jaynkeel »