Author Topic: Commercial Use  (Read 13768 times)

monolith

• First post!
    • View Profile
Commercial Use
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:27 am »
Hi, I am sure that LinuxMCE is a great product. There is only one problem with this whole thing. Guys I cannot sell it for you, I cannot share profit with you and in the end I will not donate anything to you too. Why is that? The answer is very simple. I cannot have a software sold to the customer when it takes hours to install, dvd installs are not working, I have to go over hell of installation and then sit for hours to do setup of this whole thing. So this is what I propose:

1. Make it simple to install, not like now. There must be one CD or DVD which will install whole package once and properly and preconfigure it during installation.
2. Wizard should ask few questions and that is it. I should not have to  think for 3 days what to do with it. I cannot have trainings running in the business for installers, this will not sale.
3. I need to be able to add custom protocols ( I know there is an option for it but this should be done the way that I do not need to run IT division in house to support the system ).
4. System must be stable and well documented. Support is more important than the product itself.

I think that the problem is in chaos, nobody knows what the hell is going on on your website and those all ISO/CD/DVD files. I am not an lamer and I know linux very well but after 3 hours I have got frustrated and gave up on this thing. My brother is better in this things than me but he got to the same point, just got angry on it. I cannot have a thing sold which stops working because DVD is outdated or I cannot have packages downloaded on it. Make it the way that I can run it and it will work. Stop doing everything you do now and just get right whatever you have in there now. When you get it done properly then continue development. Imagine that I sell this thing and next year whole thing dies because hdd dies or whatever - earthquake or UFO attacks, then what do I do? Try to install it from dvd 8.10 and cry because it does not work anymore? So think how to do it so it can be sold in commercial environment as a product, I will be more than happy to pay for each license I sell.

I am looking for a product like this one and I would like to sell it as a part of the system which I produce but so far I am better to write more simple but stable and working product/software which I can support than sell yours.

Thank you.

Marek
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:40:15 am by monolith »

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial Use
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:05:49 pm »
You don't sell the software
you sell the labour/hardware and advice.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:16:29 pm »
Nothing to see here. Please move on.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »
Posde, maybe you should delete it before TSCHAK wakes up :)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »
@Monolith
Those expectations are quite lofty at this stage...to thoroughly understand why you need to have some background of the projects history.  You can start by looking at pluto home's ailing website.

Read through the PPL on their website and consider that we are still focusing on freeing ourselves from that license.  As a businessman I'm sure you can see how, as long as we're operating under that license, we're basically limping around on one leg, no chance to run until we're free of those shackles.  Then go look at our codebase and see just how large and complex it is, you can imagine that with only a handful of us here working to accomplish these things, it takes a considerable amount of time.

Now consider that none of us are paid to do development on this system, I think I can speak for all the developers here when I say we do it because we enjoy it and understand the potential of the system.  We all have lives we live outside of this particular hobby, and most of us are also working 40+ hours a week, have families, etc.  We're only humans, we can only put in so much time programming, studying, researching, and designing.

That said, I would love to see your expectations of the system met, those are the goals we're all working towards, but your post does not come across as constructive, more like telling us to get our shit together and get busy so that you can profit off of it.  I'm going to suggest a few alternative approaches that would be more well received by the community here.

1) Contribute to the codebase and help us help you reach your goals, the few of us here that are actively working on the system are willing to help, you can find that time and time again on the forum, in the IRC channel(s), in TRAC, and on the wiki.

2) Make a donation to a developer who has already made significant contributions toward your goals, a nice gesture to say thanks for the work you've put in so far.

3) Test the system, if you have problems, open a TRAC ticket, yes there are some that have sat stagnant for quite some time, but we do look at them, and we are actively resolving those issues.

4) Help us get better documentation in the wiki.  If you solve a problem, search the wiki and add to our existing documentation.  If you find something incorrect in the wiki, correct the information.

5) Jump on the #linuxMCE channel on freenode IRC and help users solve problems they may be having and encourage them to provide feedback.

@Everyone who helps us
There's several ways you can help the project achieve those goals without relying solely on us.  I want to take a time out and thank everyone in this community who is actively helping, helping doesn't have to be in the form of programming, the short list above are also ways that people help us every day.

With that all out of the way, the software is not perfect, far from it in fact, I think we've all been frustrated with it at one time or another.  We find mistakes, we make mistakes, but mistakes are okay because mistakes provide feedback and feedback is how we learn.  Without making mistakes along the way, we'll never reach the goal and vision we all have of what this system can be.

@Anyone who wants to see an improvement
I hope this helps explain the reality of the project, and encourages at least one person to grab a shovel and start digging.

-Adam

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »
Adam,

Im A newbie, I'm in.
I know I'm far from being an active developer, but one day I'll have enough knowledge and be able to contribute more.
I do this for the love of the project. I'm currenly teaching myself C/C++ and ruby just so that I can contribute more back to the project one day.

Any pointers welcome

Karel

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 04:21:04 am »
Use this commercially, that is already proven but you will have to deal with "licensing" which is hard to get

With this "Open Source" stuff you have to be Patient.......
and patience is a virtue, you just proved that again.

Richard

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56:52 am »
@Monolith
Those expectations are quite lofty at this stage...to thoroughly understand why you need to have some background of the projects history.  You can start by looking at pluto home's ailing website.

Read through the PPL on their website and consider that we are still focusing on freeing ourselves from that license.  As a businessman I'm sure you can see how, as long as we're operating under that license, we're basically limping around on one leg, no chance to run until we're free of those shackles.  Then go look at our codebase and see just how large and complex it is, you can imagine that with only a handful of us here working to accomplish these things, it takes a considerable amount of time.

Now consider that none of us are paid to do development on this system, I think I can speak for all the developers here when I say we do it because we enjoy it and understand the potential of the system.  We all have lives we live outside of this particular hobby, and most of us are also working 40+ hours a week, have families, etc.  We're only humans, we can only put in so much time programming, studying, researching, and designing.

That said, I would love to see your expectations of the system met, those are the goals we're all working towards, but your post does not come across as constructive, more like telling us to get our shit together and get busy so that you can profit off of it.  I'm going to suggest a few alternative approaches that would be more well received by the community here.

1) Contribute to the codebase and help us help you reach your goals, the few of us here that are actively working on the system are willing to help, you can find that time and time again on the forum, in the IRC channel(s), in TRAC, and on the wiki.

2) Make a donation to a developer who has already made significant contributions toward your goals, a nice gesture to say thanks for the work you've put in so far.

3) Test the system, if you have problems, open a TRAC ticket, yes there are some that have sat stagnant for quite some time, but we do look at them, and we are actively resolving those issues.

4) Help us get better documentation in the wiki.  If you solve a problem, search the wiki and add to our existing documentation.  If you find something incorrect in the wiki, correct the information.

5) Jump on the #linuxMCE channel on freenode IRC and help users solve problems they may be having and encourage them to provide feedback.

@Everyone who helps us
There's several ways you can help the project achieve those goals without relying solely on us.  I want to take a time out and thank everyone in this community who is actively helping, helping doesn't have to be in the form of programming, the short list above are also ways that people help us every day.

With that all out of the way, the software is not perfect, far from it in fact, I think we've all been frustrated with it at one time or another.  We find mistakes, we make mistakes, but mistakes are okay because mistakes provide feedback and feedback is how we learn.  Without making mistakes along the way, we'll never reach the goal and vision we all have of what this system can be.

@Anyone who wants to see an improvement
I hope this helps explain the reality of the project, and encourages at least one person to grab a shovel and start digging.

-Adam

dang man, way to talk me down. I was about to rip him one, but meh, ill just say that his perspective need a serious correction. Anyways, thanks to all the people that spend their free time contributing. Random clueless people aside, its a nice community we have here.

And seriously. Possy. Nuke it from orbit. Its the only way to be sure...

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
Hi, I am sure that LinuxMCE is a great product. There is only one problem with this whole thing. Guys I cannot sell it for you, I cannot share profit with you and in the end I will not donate anything to you too. Why is that? The answer is very simple. I cannot have a software sold to the customer when it takes hours to install, dvd installs are not working, I have to go over hell of installation and then sit for hours to do setup of this whole thing. So this is what I propose:

1. Make it simple to install, not like now. There must be one CD or DVD which will install whole package once and properly and preconfigure it during installation.
2. Wizard should ask few questions and that is it. I should not have to  think for 3 days what to do with it. I cannot have trainings running in the business for installers, this will not sale.
3. I need to be able to add custom protocols ( I know there is an option for it but this should be done the way that I do not need to run IT division in house to support the system ).
4. System must be stable and well documented. Support is more important than the product itself.

I think that the problem is in chaos, nobody knows what the hell is going on on your website and those all ISO/CD/DVD files. I am not an lamer and I know linux very well but after 3 hours I have got frustrated and gave up on this thing. My brother is better in this things than me but he got to the same point, just got angry on it. I cannot have a thing sold which stops working because DVD is outdated or I cannot have packages downloaded on it. Make it the way that I can run it and it will work. Stop doing everything you do now and just get right whatever you have in there now. When you get it done properly then continue development. Imagine that I sell this thing and next year whole thing dies because hdd dies or whatever - earthquake or UFO attacks, then what do I do? Try to install it from dvd 8.10 and cry because it does not work anymore? So think how to do it so it can be sold in commercial environment as a product, I will be more than happy to pay for each license I sell.

I am looking for a product like this one and I would like to sell it as a part of the system which I produce but so far I am better to write more simple but stable and working product/software which I can support than sell yours.

Thank you.

Marek

Marek,

LinuxMCE is not a 'Product'...and we're not looking for you or anyone to sell it 'for us'.

LinuxMCE is an open source project run by the community here. People contribute their time and effort for free. Some of us here are involved in businesses and also freely contribute time, effort & code to the project.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bisceaux

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 05:12:08 pm »
@Monolith

New to this community.  I tried the pluto website and you are correct in that it is ailing and has many dead links. 

Can you give me the synopsis of what you are trying to say about the license and how you are trying to free yourselves from that license?  Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
get in contact with dianemo if you need a commercial license.

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

bisceaux

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 09:29:45 pm »
get in contact with dianemo if you need a commercial license.
I don't need a commercial license.  I plan on using LinuxMCE for home use. 

I'm a programmer who has been using unix and perl for 10 years and finally have a little time on my hand to work on my home automation.  I am reviewing many software packages and feel like LinuxMCE has many benefits.  However, as the OP stated in a very rude manner, I'm not sure I want to spend more time on administration than I have too. 

I did notice that there hasn't been a release in a few years (or maybe I am wrong on this).  When I saw the response regarding the license issue, I just thought it might be nice to get some background so I would understand the development better.  I don't want to start using something that might not be around in the future or won't continue to be developed because of licensing issues.  I'm also a newb when in comes to licensing :-)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:54 pm »
The software is constantly being worked on, stop by #linuxmce, in irc.freenode.net .. there is also a channel for developers.

We're just very outwardly quiet, because there is a lot of work to do, very few people to do it.

-Thom

FedExGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 08:51:27 pm »
I am hoping soon to begin contributing to this project, I really like LinuxMCE it has the potential to be REALLY GREAT and is already doing allot of great things, but I had a nightmare of a time getting it to work. I mean literally weeks it took me to get it setup and running ( I stuck it out even through the many times I wanted to put my fist through the monitor and toss the PC across the room ). I firmly believed LinuxMCE was exactly what I needed for the job, and it has proven itself to be exactly that.

I am an electrical engineer with over 30 years of programming in almost every language, I have some ideas to contribute to the project, hopefully in the near future I will have the time work up some code and submit, maybe at some future date being a major contributor.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 09:59:31 pm »
cool. Stop by the IRC channels #linuxmce and #linuxmce-devel on FreeNode. That is where the developers and support people hang out.