Author Topic: Ubuntu 8.10 end of life breaks installer  (Read 43958 times)

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 8.10 end of life breaks installer
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
It does appear to be a bit contradictory but when you first install before you run the lmce script you will want to do the dist-upgrade.

I just did another install on my test machine and the packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid line seems to work with no problem.  Doing the dist-upgrade pulled in the mplayer packages and installed them.  I was not able to see everything that was going by but I do not think I had a problem.  I used snapshot 23326.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:22 am »
I've read many threads where users do "apt-get dist-upgrade" but the install notes indicate not to do it  ???
From the Wiki; http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810

Keeping Up-to-date with updates
Note It is strongly recommend that you do not update/upgrade a stable, working system user:L3mce

Once you have installed LinuxMCE-0810, all you need to do to keep up-to-date with the latest and greatest, is run the following from a terminal on the core and each MD:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Note: You should NOT run apt-get dist-upgrade after LinuxMCE is installed, as it can cause several problems, including having different kernel versions on your core and media directors, and the installation of new Kubuntu packages that can break some features!

I believe the origninal reasoning behind the warning was that at that time a kernel upgrade had been issued by ubuntu.  The kernel upgrade broke a bunch of functionality and caused other problems.  Since 0810 has been at end of life, around April, this has not been an issue because there have been no ubuntu updates.

J.

catweazel

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:31 pm »
Hi All
Im a noob to linux but keen on getting this running. Its getting frustrating though. I would have thought most of the incorrect references in the source list would have been changed in what appears to be a weekly snapshot. With the amount of hits this topic has, the problem has obviously been around for a while.

Now the frustrating bit. I have tried to edit the sources list. Have got as far as making and editing a copy with all references to "archive" and "security" changed to "old-releases". Now I did say I was a noob. I can't get editing rights to replace the existing file or cut and paste into it and save. All I want to do is edit it with editors that come with the Kubuntu install. Have looked at numerous sites with no success.

Please help the noobie !!! 

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 01:31:05 pm »
In linux there are certain areas and processes that require root privileges to change them.  To gain temporary root privileges type sudo <your command> if making a change in a terminal.  If the program is gui based then from a command prompt it would be ksudo and the command.  So in your case, you could ksudo <your favorite editor> /etc/apt/sources.list, hit enter, and type in your password.  Edit the file and save it.  You are done.  Or you could edit a copy, save it to your home directory, change the permissions to match the original file, change owner ship to root, then sudo cp the file into the /etc/apt directory.  I will leave it up to you to research chmod(for changing permissions) and chown ( for changing ownership ).

I am sure there is probably a better way but I usually edit the file with vi in a terminal.  Being new to linux you would probably want to steer clear of vi for now.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »
Hi All
Im a noob to linux but keen on getting this running. Its getting frustrating though. I would have thought most of the incorrect references in the source list would have been changed in what appears to be a weekly snapshot. With the amount of hits this topic has, the problem has obviously been around for a while.

I think it is safe to assume that snapshots are on-hold until some of the major issues surrounding intrepid end-of-life are resolved.

It looks like the final snapshot produced before the intrepid repository disappeared is:  LinuxMCE-8.10-23388-i386.iso        01-Nov-2010 00:17  3.8G.  My recommendation is to not use anything newer than this until issues can be resolved.  Mythified and myself both point to snapshots that have successfully installed for us in recent days.

J.

J.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »
Hi All

Now the frustrating bit. I have tried to edit the sources list. Have got as far as making and editing a copy with all references to "archive" and "security" changed to "old-releases". Now I did say I was a noob. I can't get editing rights to replace the existing file or cut and paste into it and save. All I want to do is edit it with editors that come with the Kubuntu install. Have looked at numerous sites with no success.

Please help the noobie !!! 

Either...
Code: [Select]
sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list...which uses a text editor (kate in this case) to open the sources.list file with root privileges. Or...

Code: [Select]
sudo dolphin...to open a file browser with root privileges, BUT BEWARE, you'll be able to change anything you point the file browser at, so things can easily go willy tits if you're not careful.

And this should explain how sudo works http://xkcd.com/149/
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 06:26:13 pm »
And this should explain how sudo works http://xkcd.com/149/

One of my favorites.  :)  

ghope5

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 09:47:36 pm »
Hi guys, I have just installed the Dec.5 Snapshot. I did the apt-get update twice and apt-get dist-upgrade, everything seemed to go
fine. I went through the setup with Sara and when she gets to the software add on which I believe is the "libdvdcss" file that came in when installing ver 710, in fact I tried my copy of 710 and the software was there. my question is has this software been removed
from the 810 version. if it has then how do I get my dvd to play movies. Otherwise this snapshot appears to be working well
thanks for any help offered.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 01:29:21 am »
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
on the MD(s) in question.

I assume the "add software" part of the wizard will be present in the RC.

ghope5

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 04:41:28 am »
Thank you Perps, this worked, not having much knowledge or command of linux I was at a loss
Thanks again.

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 12:17:54 am »
I'm confused. Trying to install the latest snapshot and modifying the sources.list gives a stream of errors (attached) when I try to update. The old-releases don't seem to be available, yet the latest mention of this problem was on Dec 11. What snapshot should I use and what is the trick to installing it?
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 01:39:24 am »
Is your Internet connection working properly?

Cheers,
Matt.

twodogs

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2010, 04:04:10 am »
Check out the big brain on Matt! That was exactly the problem.

John
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com/home-automation/
system:
ASUS P5N7A-VM
integrated GeForce 9300
E5200 processor
Fusion 5 lite HDTV card
2G RAM
SYBA SY-PCI15001 6-port serial card
Denon AVR 3805
LG 42" Plasma
Gyration GYR3101
Cisco SPA3102 analog telephone adapter
Cisco 7971G IP phone/orbiter

persundberg

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »
Hi guys, I have just installed the Dec.5 Snapshot. I did the apt-get update twice and apt-get dist-upgrade, everything seemed to go
fine. I went through the setup with Sara and when she gets to the software add on which I believe is the "libdvdcss" file that came in when installing ver 710, in fact I tried my copy of 710 and the software was there. my question is has this software been removed
from the 810 version. if it has then how do I get my dvd to play movies. Otherwise this snapshot appears to be working well
thanks for any help offered.

I installed the dec5 snapshot DVD but I also build the MD image. THEN I rebooted and got stuck in an endless reboot loop. I have had an earlier version of linuxmce 8.10 installed that worked just fine on this system. anyone had this problem and is there a solution to it? Also I got a lot of 404 errors... :/

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
Why did you install the 5 december snapshot?