Author Topic: easi (er) method for post reinstall ?  (Read 5827 times)

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
easi (er) method for post reinstall ?
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:34:54 am »
Hi all

(prepares self for a slap/thwack  ;D)

after 15 straight hours of installs /setup attempts at troubleshooting then reinstalling and more device template REcreation, I was sitting shell shocked with my nth. cup of tea when an idea popped up,

..... would it be possible to save the web admin site (or parts, or separate pages) as an html doc

and then use the files after a clean install, to replace the virgin pages /site just created,

......like the spa3102 and various routers    ????

please be gentle, ;)

regards,
Ian

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: easi (er) method for post reinstall ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:13:49 am »
Hi

There is a backup/restore functionality in the web admin, which should backup and restore all setting (not sure exactly what settings are covered). But I'm not sure if this works currently, I guess you would have to try it.

If you create device templates, you should really look into having them submitted and approved in LMCE, that way, you wont have to recreate them every time, and others can also benefit from them.

best regards,
sambuca

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:06 am »
Hi sambuca,
thanks for the response,

I have tried a couple of times to use backup/restore, and never had much luck,....it also seems to defeat the  reason for a fresh install, as i don't think you can be selective,

........as a complete numpty  I wouldn't think of letting my numerous blanks/slightly altered / efforts loose in  the big  wide world : Tschak et al would slap me silly ;D :D and deservedly so.

I just saw this as a very user friendly way of preserving  a half decent , easily restorable set of config files,so that I, ( ie learners) could experiment and learn , without the cost of having to re-research half understood concepts, and in my case avoid a lot of the frustration of  just physically typing it all back in,

Would it even be possible ? timing of orbiter regens/router reloads spring to mind ?

regards,
Ian

ladekribs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:56 am »
or suppose that you could save all settings on a server and when installing just enter an ID and password to restore it all

BR Stefan

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:52:36 am »
It is not recommended to edit configuration files manually, and this includes copying back edited files. You will get into trouble down the line, as edited files are not updated through apt-get.

I would recommend trying to get your changed/new device templates accepted into the standard LMCE set instead.

br,
sambuca

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:35:53 am »
How about you make a backup of your install before you start "jacking it up", that way you can revert easily

Richard

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:23:20 pm »
 ;)
I can recommend using Clonezilla on a USB external disk. Take a snapshot of the bnefore, and then if it gets hosed, it only takes minutes to restore. I have an old 100G laptop hardrive inone of those little $15 USB enclosures, installed the Clonezilla iso to it, and then set the rest of the drive up for storage.

I use Clonezilla, unetbootin.

Before every major update/install, I take a snapshot/backup  of the non-hosed version. Gets you back up and running in 20 minutes or less  ;D

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth