Author Topic: CM15A help  (Read 2933 times)

JMH

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
CM15A help
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »
Hi all,

I've installed the most current snapshot of 8.10 and trying to set up and use X10 with a CM15A module.  For now, I've loaded it in a virtual image under VirtualBox.  the goal is to learn LinuxMCE and then make a permanent installation for my home.

The problem I'm seeing is in the log of the CM15A unit, there are many pages of:  received <58 41 e7 ea 2f 81 61 00> unknown data <0xb61d8b90>
The unit does not turn on and off a test lamp that's setup.  The unit and lamp will respond to commands from a standard X10 hand control.  It will also work from AHP.

Second, more general question:  After signing out of the Administration page, the control panel is usually gone and a black window is left.  Is there a way to get back to the control, so far I've had to reboot the whole image.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jim

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: CM15A help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:47:51 am »
Are you running virtual box as root through sudo?  I have seen where usb devices cannot be found/connected to unless you run as root.

JMH

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:15:59 am »
Yes,  LinuxMCE  automatically detected and installed the CM15A unit.  I see it listed under Device Status in the Admin site.  I've added a simple on/off light for testing and that shows up as well.  It is in the log for the CM15A unit that I see pages of the error message in my original post.

Yesterday I downloaded the newest snapshot and loaded it today, but I'm having the same trouble.

Thanks

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:32 am »
I am presently loading a fresh install onto a box to test a usb tuner card.  Once it installs I will plug in a cm15a and see if I can get it to work.  I will let you know.

mythtified

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:20:24 pm »
Ok after a few dumb a$$ attacks I finally managed to get the latest snapshot installed on a dedicated machine.  I plugged my CM15A into the usb port and Linuxmce found it and installed software for it.  I then set up a light and addressed it to a current X10 lamp at B9.  I was able to turn the lamp on/off from lmce.  So it is not broke in the current snapshot.  Not knowing what problems may be introduced by running lmce in a virtual environment I hesitate to comment much on that other than I would make sure that you run virtual box as root and try again.  The only other things I can think of is if you are plugging your CM15A into an outlet strip the device will not be able to control X10 devices.  The transient protection devices in the strip will filter out X10 signals.  You may also try removing the batteries from the CM15A and then plugging it in to the lmce box.  You will not be able to store anything on the CM15A under lmce since the code was not written to take advantage of the memory capability of the CM15A.  Batteries are unnecessary.  I have also found that leaving the batteries in over time will produce undesirable results with the CM15A.  Wrong lights turning on under program control.  Every light in the house turning on when trying to turn on one light.

Good luck