Author Topic: media director boot issue "crc error"  (Read 16964 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
media director boot issue "crc error"
« on: December 24, 2006, 11:04:19 pm »
Hi,

Just bought 2 pc's to test pluto in my home in the Netherlands.
Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ and X2 4200+ cpu's, Twinmos dual channel memory 1GB, silverstone LC11 housing in my living, SATA HDD in core.

Core install is OK. I needed to re-try 3 times before it completely finished the install due to some "kernel panic" errors at different points at installing routine, but it runs OK now.
I can access it from my Windows PC browser and I have set-up a media director.

After that I have done the necassary stuff and (set-up diskless MD" and did a "quick reload router".
Booting failed due to crc error. After that I tried a "rebuild image".
That time it went further at booting, but stopped at  "io scheduler cfg registered".
After another reboot of the MD it stopped again at:

RAMDISK compressed image found at block 0
crc error
VFS: cannot open root device or "nfs" or unknown - block (0,255)
Please append a correct (root=) boot option
kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown -block (0,255)

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?
Do I need to change some root= option? Where ? How?

ps. can someone tell me how to copy/access these log files on the core from my windows pc so I don't have to type the log (I am a newb linux user)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: media director boot issue "crc error"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:04:34 pm »
Quote from: "MikeyMike"

RAMDISK compressed image found at block 0
crc error
VFS: cannot open root device or "nfs" or unknown - block (0,255)
Please append a correct (root=) boot option
kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown -block (0,255)

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?
Do I need to change some root= option? Where ? How?

Just did some searching on how linux works :-)

I changed image type to none smp type in tftpboot/pxelinux.config/default
did not help.
I am now trying to check why NFS cannot be loaded (in tftpboot/pxelinux.config/default it says APPEND root=/dev/nfs)
apparently nfs cannnot be found??

Maybe someone can help me with this isue?

I also don't know if the crc error (see log above) is causing this all, because it does not always give the crc error, but it gives the other error always. Maybe I should solve that first (re-install core??? or rebuild Media director image again??)

please help!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Anyone have a clue?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:30:40 pm »
I am already waiting for weeks to continue with my Pluto project....
Tried new iso download ..same error
Tried V0.43 beta.. does not work

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
mybe a fourth reply will get some more views..and a reply?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:02:33 pm »
please help....

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: mybe a fourth reply will get some more views..and a repl
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:19:16 pm »
please help....

We saw this problem with some systems when installing .42 - but not with any of the .43 daily builds.

Now that .43 has been released it is worth trying that. If you have more problems i would contact Pluto support and ask them to login remotely to your system and take a look at the problem for you.

Best of luck.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: mybe a fourth reply will get some more views..and a repl
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 08:15:48 pm »
Quote from: "totallymaxed"
please help....

We saw this problem with some systems when installing .42 - but not with any of the .43 daily builds.

Now that .43 has been released it is worth trying that. If you have more problems i would contact Pluto support and ask them to login remotely to your system and take a look at the problem for you.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Thanks I will try the new version...i'll come back with some news soon...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 08:57:03 am »
Hello,

I also bought a Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and put it in a Antec Fusion case for use as an MD.
Working so far in 0.43:

1) Booting and startup ok!
2) UI2 working and loocking great without alpha blend
3) Analog sound working (stereo so far, will test Coax SP/DIF soon)
4) VGA output ok (will test S-video later, can't test component output...)

Not working:

1) Wake on LAN, maybe I have missed something
2) BTTV TV-card, should it work directly?, otherwise how do I set it up?)
3) MythTV, should have the above to work first...
4) LCD display on the Antec Fusion case (support is ok under linux, its an IMON (USB) device)

Otherwise its a very nice motherboard and the Antec case is wonderful, I intend to connect it to my RS232 controllable Marantz SR5500 surr-amp.

Best Regards,

Mikael, Sweden

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
0.43 stil not OK
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:33:56 pm »
Tried the new version, same error.

I also tried my laptop (IBM T42) to see if that works, it boots untill it gives the message something like "announced ourselves at the router, use orbiter to continue". This seems to be more promissing, only I don't have an orbiter  :cry:

I will look at some log files created when trying to boot my intended MD pc this evening, maybe it's a hardware problem.
I also bought a Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and put it in a Antec Fusion case for use as an MD.

Mikael, what kind of CPU are you using, I use AMD X2 4200+, could that be the problem? I don't use any other hardware in my MD yet, just the motherboard.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: 0.43 stil not OK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:38:27 pm »
Tried the new version, same error.

I also tried my laptop (IBM T42) to see if that works, it boots untill it gives the message something like "announced ourselves at the router, use orbiter to continue". This seems to be more promissing, only I don't have an orbiter  :cry:

I will look at some log files created when trying to boot my intended MD pc this evening, maybe it's a hardware problem.

Mikael, what kind of CPU are you using, I use AMD X2 4200+, could that be the problem? I don't use any other hardware in my MD yet, just the motherboard.

Hi,

All our Hybrid Cores are based on i945 motherboards as these generally seem to be reliably supported... not that that help you much I know!

The 'Announced ourselves...." message is what you should see on a new MD first time you pxe boot it from the Hybrid or Core. On the Hybrid's MD you will see a Wizard pop and gives you the option of adding this machine as an MD.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 08:11:33 pm »
Hello again,

I have an AMD Athlon X64 3500+ processor installed, maybe the kernel version used by Pluto has problems with AMD dual core processors?

Nice to have someone else working with the same hardware, I hope that your problems will be solved!
I was thinking of bying an AMD X2 cpu but somehow i didn't choose it in the end.

Should be able to test digital output and S-video in a couple of days hopefully...

Have a nice day!

Mikael

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »
It might be worth installing the smp kernel on your dual core processor machine. I would also suggest that you setup your core as a Hybrid Core so that you have the option to use it as an MD... even if that is only in emergency situations.

I would also suggest not manually adding your MD's... let PnP do it for you. Using the manual process via Web Admin nearly always seems to cause some problems in our experience.

As of this afternoon the .43 OrbiterGen is broken... we tried building a new Core and even adding the Hybrid failed. The Pluto team know baout this problem and are working on a fix now.

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:10:28 pm »
Some more details of the work progress with the ASUS MB;

1) Digtal sound working ok (coax), DTS not ok otherwise good
2) S-video working perfect (PAL), very good quality on the 32" CRT TV when watching dvd's and pictures, UI2 (medium) look rather good. I thought that I should use 720p as resolution, but it didn't work but 1024x768 is good.

I have the orginalfan delivered with the AMD cpu and thanks to the smart RPM regulation the MD is very quiet, hard to hear if your not next to it.

Next thing on my list, build a UIRT2 and put it into the case, using one of the general outputs to be able to start it with the remote.
I'm also intend to use the HD-indicator on the front as indication for reception of IR-signals instead of indicating harddisc activity.

One more thing, the sound quality from the digital output (coax) and my Marantz amp is MUCH nicer  :D than my old config which was a DVD/VCR combo (S/PDIF) connected to the Marantz amp. Much sharper and better bass and the total experience of listening to it is a great improvement (But I didn't think it should matter so much...)

On tip to Pluto programmers, give the user the possibility to cut down the rotating speed for the DVD to reduce sound (hdparm I think?)

Bye

Mikael

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 11:45:47 am »
Quote from: "MickeAlex"
Some more details of the work progress with the ASUS MB;

1) Digtal sound working ok (coax), DTS not ok otherwise good

Hi Mikael

thanks for your feedback. What kind of digital output (card) do you use, since there is none on the motherboard?

I did not have time to install my system again. Will try to do it today.
ps. what kind of boot-option do you use in the BIOS of the motherboard?
There are 2 choices of booting via LAN. Which one do you set on top?
Did you enable any other LAN booting settings?

regards,

Maickel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 12:55:04 pm »
There IS an digital output on the board, you just have to buy an small Asus-card to put on the back and connect it to the motherboard (I saw at asus forum som people connecting it directly to an RCA-plug, but I decide to run the safe way...)
One thing that I'm missing is that the cables connecting the Digital output and also the HDTV-card are not the right stuff, the should be shielded, so I will replace them with better ones.

I can't check now regarding the settings in bios, but I'm using Nvidia boot agent as first boot, and enabled LAN boot rom.

Regards,

Mikael

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 02:21:23 pm »
Quote from: "totallymaxed"
It might be worth installing the smp kernel on your dual core processor machine. I would also suggest that you setup your core as a Hybrid Core so that you have the option to use it as an MD... even if that is only in emergency situations.

Hi Andrew,

My core is single core. I just re-installed it as Hybrid.
My dual core MD does not boot probably due to what you are saying. It does not load the smp kernel.....

Is there a smp kernel to boot from on my single-core installed hybrid?
Do you know how to force the MD to use the smp kernel?