Author Topic: media director boot issue "crc error"  (Read 16965 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
media director boot issue "crc error"
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 02:46:28 pm »
Quote from: "MikeyMike"
Quote from: "totallymaxed"
It might be worth installing the smp kernel on your dual core processor machine. I would also suggest that you setup your core as a Hybrid Core so that you have the option to use it as an MD... even if that is only in emergency situations.

Hi Andrew,

My core is single core. I just re-installed it as Hybrid.
My dual core MD does not boot probably due to what you are saying. It does not load the smp kernel.....

Is there a smp kernel to boot from on my single-core installed hybrid?
Do you know how to force the MD to use the smp kernel?

Hi Mike,

Hmmm... well that is a subtlety to your setup I had missed. You have a single Core processor in your Core/Hybrid but a dual-core in your MD. At present whatever kernel you choose in the initial Debain part of the installer is the kernel that will be used for all PLuto MD's too. It might be possible to update the kernel post install of the MD... but I have not tried that and i would not recommend it to you.

So you could try this... re-install again and this time select the smp kernel on your single core machine... this should work in my experience. Then when you add your dual core MD it will get the smp kernel and then hopefully it will boot ok.

If this does not work then I would get in touch with Pluto support directly and ask one of guys (probably radu.c to look into this for you).

Best of luck

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
media director boot issue "crc error"
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 02:59:31 pm »
[quote

Hmmm... well that is a subtlety to your setup I had missed. You have a single Core processor in your Core/Hybrid but a dual-core in your MD. At present whatever kernel you choose in the initial Debain part of the installer is the kernel that will be used for all PLuto MD's too. It might be possible to update the kernel post install of the MD... but I have not tried that and i would not recommend it to you.

So you could try this... re-install again and this time select the smp kernel on your single core machine... this should work in my experience. Then when you add your dual core MD it will get the smp kernel and then hopefully it will boot ok.

[/quote]

Hi Andrew,

I cannot install the smp kernel on my single core machine, it crashes everytime when it starts installing the kernel.
Anyway I found in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg the following:
DEFAULT Pluto
LABEL Pluto
   KERNEL default/vmlinuz-default-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686-smp
   APPEND root=/dev/nfs acpi=off vga=normal initrd=default/initrd.img-default-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686-smp ramdisk_size=10240 rw ip=all ydebug apicpmtimer

Obviously it boots the smp kernel by default?
I will try to contact one of the pluto guys again...

thanks for your help.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Cannot get in touch with Pluto guys
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 04:25:35 pm »
Does anybody have experience with:

1) smp kernel installed on a single core "pluto core" (and dual core cpu MD)
OR
2) normal kernel installed on a single core "pluto core" and a MD with dual core cpu?

I would really like to find out if the dual core CPU is causing my problem before I invest more money in a single core cpu.
I bought the dual core cpu to be able to decode H.264/MPEG4 video (hopefully).

Thanks in advance