Author Topic: Clipsal interface on LinuxMCE  (Read 4924 times)

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Clipsal interface on LinuxMCE
« on: October 22, 2010, 08:34:56 am »
Hi guys,

Im based in South Africa, and alot of the equipment is not locally available. So I cannot really expand my setup.
Currently I have X10 running, but to my suprise the insurance company is giving me a hard time. Its not SABS aproved. And I noticed that if I switch the lights of at the wall switch, WebAdmin indicates that the status of the light is still on.

So I started looking at Z-wave, but once again its not locally available.
On the other hand though, Clipsal products are available in SA. SABS aproved, but more exspensive. I dont mind spending the extra bucks, but I dont wanna get it and then I hit a brick wall.

There is a Wiki though
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Here_is_a_detailed_example_of_how_to_add_Clipsal_Interface_using_Generic_Serial_Device.

So my questions are:
Is Clipsal compatible with LinuxMCE?
Was anyone able to get the Clipsal interface working?

I dont mind digging in and getting it working if it is posible....

Karel

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Clipsal interface on LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:22 am »
Clipsal is not compatible, and afaik, does not have free open programming interfaces available.

If you already found out that less expensive stuff has its draw backs, and it might make sense to spend a bit more, why not look into KNX? It is supported by LinuxMCE, world-wide available, and completely manufacturer independent.

One thing you will need to do, is rewire, because otherwise the devices are way too expensive.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:54:11 am »
One thing you will need to do, is rewire, because otherwise the devices are way too expensive.

rewire?
The electrical wiring of the house?

Karel

Edit: Sorry stupid question. Spoke to the local distributor.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:54:14 am by DragonK »

gonesurfing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:54:33 am »
HI
i have dmx512 in my home with a serial to dmx protocol converter controlled by lmce
http://wiki2.linuxmce.org/index.php/Cueserver_dmx_lighting
i have also used dmx dimmer packs and switch packs
http://www.pulsarlight.com/Products/PowerPacks/DataPak/tabid/141/Default.aspx

Okay the converter I used was expensive and was purchased prior to lmce however you can buy them for around $100 you can also buy gateways dmx to Cbus/cilpsal or KNX to dmx and various combinations I would spend some time on google and find the best solution for your area
hope this is of some help steve

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:48:31 am »
Clipsal is not compatible, and afaik, does not have free open programming interfaces available.

If you already found out that less expensive stuff has its draw backs, and it might make sense to spend a bit more, why not look into KNX? It is supported by LinuxMCE, world-wide available, and completely manufacturer independent.

Posde,

I had a good chat to a local supplier of KNX units. I understand what you meant by rewire now. And KNX seems to be the better route to follow. Just one more newbie question...... The supplier asked if I wanted the "ip-gateway" to interface with my LMCE or a serial interface controller?
Which one would you reccommend?
They also have a weatherstation that would be nice to include in my setup...

I'll have to save up for it though....

Thanx
Karel

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »
Hello Karel,

yes, KNX is THE best automation system out there, imho.

Whether to use a serial interface controller or an IP one comes down to your personal preferences. I opted for the IP controller, as I love to control everything via IP, and also I don't need to have a PC near the electro panel.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
Posde,

Thanx for all your advise so far. I'm doing my homework before I buy anything else. Dont want to run into the same wall as before.
For me I'll have to invest in something that will last me for a long time to come.
I saw this thread about "Omni" security panels
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9995.0

I want to intergrate my alarm system into LMCE aswell. From a local supplier I saw that they have lights, motion sensor, temp sensors and curtain rails.
http://www.lifelogic.co.za/omni-pro-II.html

Enhanced Two-Way X-10 allows OmniPro II to receive signals for status tracking, use as program triggers, features collision detection and retry for reliability

Once again thanx for all the advice thus far.

Karel

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »
My question would be: Do you want a security panel for the insurance company, or for your own safety/peace of mind? If you want it for the insurance company, ask your insurance company what systems they accept. If it is for safety/peace of mind, utilize the functions LinuxMCE.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:39:52 am »
Unfortunately its for the insurance company..........