Author Topic: DivX problem  (Read 8458 times)

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DivX problem
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:06 am »
Raymond,

I appologise....
Its not "xgl" but "opengl".

Im at work but after posting I quickly logged in to my box and double checked.

Once again sorry about the slip up.

Karel

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:13:50 pm »
So far the only part where vdpau is not yet fully supported is mplayer, which- if I'm not mistaken- is only used for m2ts-files. Xine as well as mythtv work well with vdpau. You will notice the difference when you play HD-content.

As for the tearing, it is my understanding that here nvidia is at fault, because this seems to be a long standing bug in their drivers. So I don't think you will have much success in having alphablending enabled and no tearing.

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:06:52 pm »
Raymond,

I appologise....
Its not "xgl" but "opengl".

Im at work but after posting I quickly logged in to my box and double checked.

Once again sorry about the slip up.

Karel

:) no problem at all,
as you see from the different posts here vpdau yes, vpdau no, the confusion is all over the place,
will start a wiki when i get the time so any input is very welcome.
if you have any suggestions let me know...

and again no harm done :)

br,
Raymond
When you were born, you were crying and everybody else was laughing.
Live your life so when you die, you are laughing and everybody else is crying.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 12:29:30 am »
If you set 'vdpau' in the webadmin then xine and mplayer will use vdpau acceleration if it exists.  Xine (in lmce) will automatically fall back to opengl playback for media that vdpau does not accelerate.  I think that mplayer is setup to do the same but I don't recall. 

If you search around on the internet there is generally no 'cure' for video playback tearing in linux.  There are many things that can be done to somewhat mitigate or reduce the symptoms but there are fundamental changes required to how the linux kernel and opengl and compositing managers interact and sync to vertical.  The problems are well documented around the net and it seems they can only be solved by changes made from the kernel down to x drivers and compositing managers...

Until then you can reduce the amount of tearing that you see on your screen by not using alpha blending (where v-sync issues are most noticeable) and by using the lowest level of 'de-interlacing' you can live with in your webadmin settings.  The de-interlacing setting can have a significant effect on the amount of tearing you see.

Some TVs also have 'tearing' as the source material and actual refresh rate of the pixels is not in lock step.  My plasma has an 85Hz refresh rate in it's hardware but it is fed with a 60Hz video signal.  I actually experience a very little bit of tearing on my tv with other types of media as well (BR, DVD, PS3 games can be bad) during fast motion scenes.

J.

RayBe

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 11:55:44 pm »
When you were born, you were crying and everybody else was laughing.
Live your life so when you die, you are laughing and everybody else is crying.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 05:31:09 pm »
could this be a solution?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/how-to-fix-video-tearing-in-videos-nvidia-ubuntu/

My experience, and others in many, many forums, is that these settings remove the majority of the tearing but do not completely fix the problem.  It fixes things enough that video becomes watchable and some claim to no longer see the tearing but it is still there and really annoying with a discerning eye.  This is covered in hundreds of forum topics on dozens and dozens of forums and everyone reports differing degrees of success.

J.