Author Topic: Linux newbie - need help!  (Read 5994 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Linux newbie - need help!
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:58:57 pm »
Hello

I have never used linux before - and now I want to learn..  But after hours and hours of serching on the web I can't find a single good place for a new person to linux to start. I have been a c/c++/java programmer for over 10 years, and yet linux intimidates me..
For example, where is this great xwindows desktop i have read about? I type xstart at the console and nothing happens...  Same for simple things..  I type ping <ip> and it pings... and pings... and pings... and I can't stop it.

Can somebody tell me where to start? My pluto core is running but how do I enjoy linux with a GUI??? I mean I can't even edit Grubs boot list to customize it for crying out loud!

thanks,

Jon

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 12:28:51 am »
If your intention is to learn linux my suggestion would be to choose a distribution (Debian is fine) and install the standard OS to a machine, then maybe grab a book as a guide. Do this completely independant of Pluto for now.
Pluto runs a lot of custom scripts and custom software on top of a Debian installation. If you have a Pluto core running, at this stage leave it alone and work with another machine.

Once you have learnt more about linux you will be able to follow what Pluto has done to the installation and perhaps customise aspects of it, but it is not a good platform to learn linux on. They have intentially hidden a lot of the OS so that it gets closer to a consumer device.

Good luck.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:12:05 am »
Thanks - i have taken your advice. It was a lot of fun installing and using debian on one of my computers.. I have a lot to learn now, but I like it so far. ANy good websites to help me out from here?

thanks,
Jon

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:47:06 am »
If its a desktop OS to learn with, ubuntu is the winner for sure
http://www.ubuntu.com
http://www.ubuntuforums.org[/url]

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:19:27 pm »
Wow, Ubuntu is great!  It is now on all computers in my house - thanks for the tip!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 01:17:54 pm »
:) no probs. Another convert
The ubuntu forums are really nice for learning linux. Once you've got into the basics then look into pluto, it helps to have a sound grounding in linux as pluto still needs some tweeking to get the most out of it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 04:30:01 pm »
Makes you wonder why they don't install Pluto over Ubuntu instead of straight debian..  Ubuntu's excellent driver support and autodetection is just great and would make setting up a Pluto system so much easier!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 05:06:56 pm »
From looking at the SVN source, there's now a
Ubuntu Build script. Not had a chance to try let, but would be great if a desktop install of Ubuntu could be used as a media director by running a simple installer.

I hope you enjoy using Ubuntu, I've had it on my laptop for the lat year and like the fact it "just works" so i can get on with doing work and not tinkering with it :)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 12:00:18 am »
I would have thought it would not be too difficult to build pluto on an ubuntu base as isn't ubuntu based on debian?

I must admit I havn't used ubuntu but with the glowing references here I am now going to download the desktop image and have a look.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 11:10:04 am »
This will help you get going and give you some of the basic console syntax to navigate as you might be used to from a DOS window:
http://www.linux.org/lessons/