Author Topic: Problems with Denon 2310 - Video source drops  (Read 5071 times)

tunebob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Problems with Denon 2310 - Video source drops
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »
Hi, just started using Linuxmce recently.  Its great and thanks to all those working on it!

I am using a Denon 2310 with an MD, the MD video is connected via HDMI to the HDMI2 connector ( HDP source ) on the denon, while the audio is connected via SPDif to Opt1 on the denon.  I am also using a USB -> RS232 cable from the MD to the 2310 for control.  I use HDMI output from the denon to a samsung tv (1080p).   

The denon device was auto detected as the A1SRA and mostly works fine.  The one problem i have is everytime i play a movie, the HDMI icon on the front of the denon indicating the video source disappears and then the denon drops the video source from the MD, i.e. i get no video output from the denon to the tv.  The audio continues just fine...

If i use the denon remote control to switch to another source such as DVD, and then switch back to the HDP source, the MD Video is back and i can watch my movie ( hdmi icon on the denon box also now displays ).  However if i stop the movie, as soon as the MD returns to the 'desktop' / GUI....again the picture drops out.  I then have to repeat switching of the source to DVD and back to HDP to get it to return.

I have played with the Denon menus and tried all sorts of configurations but no joy, this continues to happen.

Anyone any ideas ? 

Thanks

Bob

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Denon 2310 - Video source drops
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:04 am »
Hi tunebob,

Welcome to the forum. I had the exact same problem with the same setup.

My solution was to bypass the Denon and route the hdmi straight from the md to the TV.

This solved my problem. Hope this helps.
Barney

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:49 am »
What MB/video card are you guys using?  I was looking at a denon 3311 but I may reconsider.

J.

tunebob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
Hi Barney,thanks for the reply and the welcome.

I was hoping to avoid going straight to the tv...i only have infrared to control it  and its a lot more hit and miss than the rs232 on the denon.

Do you think the problem is on the LMCE side or with the Denon ?

phenigma,  thanks for the reply.... I am using a zotac ion n330 board.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 01:44:48 pm »
Hi tunebob,

Sorry it wasn't clear. I didn't mean to bypass the rs232 control.

Leave everything as it is but don't send the video signal through the Denon via HDMI then out to the TV. This sometimes caused a black screen for me (or the denon logo screensaver).

I have audio Optical out to the Denon (into opt3 on the front of the denon - V.AUX) but my HDMI from my MD (actually my Core) goes straight to the TV. I know you lose the denon menu overlay but it should solve your problem.

I used V.AUX for audio because it was one of the matching inputs from the A1SRA template.

@phenigma My core uses the AN-M2HD with optical out (for surround sound) to the Denon and HDMI out to the TV. Don't think HDMI sound supports surround sound. I have also used the Acer Revo with the same setup (optical plus hdmi).

Barney

tunebob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:36:06 pm »
Hi, it looks like i have resolved the problem...

On the off chance, I decided to try a different hdmi cable....and discovered that i was using a DVI -> HDMI cable...i had thought i was using a straight hdmi cable..guess i need to pay attention a bit more.

Anyway so i exchanged that cable for the straight hdmi cable, reran the AV wizard and hey presto all works fine now...I dont loose the video at any time now.

I have no idea why the Denon likes this setup better, but it works and I am happy :)

Barney, sounds like you are already using a hdmi->hdmi cable but if not perhaps you can give that a go and see if things work better for you.

Thanks

Bob

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »
phenigma,  thanks for the reply.... I am using a zotac ion n330 board.

Welcome to the Forum and thanks back.

@phenigma My core uses the AN-M2HD with optical out (for surround sound) to the Denon and HDMI out to the TV. Don't think HDMI sound supports surround sound. I have also used the Acer Revo with the same setup (optical plus hdmi).

HDMI does support surround sound, it's part of the appeal of HDMI, only 1 cable is required for all video and audio.  The newer HDMI standard (1.4 if I remember correctly) actually incorporates a tcp/ip communication mechanism so that each device can share a network connection as well.  I have yet to acquire an HDMI receiver to confirm that LMCE supports surround sound over HDMI... but I would assume that it would.  Thanks for the info on the motherboard.

J.