Author Topic: can't access files on MD  (Read 3589 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
can't access files on MD
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »
I have an issue with my MD: I can only access the files on the disk there, if I reboot the MD, even if its just started.
Usually when going to bed, I shut this MD down, when I want to watch TV, or a movie, I turn it back on...that worked flawlessly without a problem
Now however, I start the MD..TV is nice, watching movies is okay, but for example if I want to access the files on my MD, I have to reboot it and only then I can see whats there.I could let it stay like that for days and the files won't show up, stopping and starting the mediaupdate daemon via webadmin doesn't do anything.
How can I check this out?

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: can't access files on MD
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:23:06 pm »
Just enquiring, did you get this resolved.

I had to re-install two nights, using snapshot 23333, wife tried to play a movie this morning, and got the message file not found. I checked before running out the door to work, and though I can see all me media on the core, I cannot see any media in either audio or video directories on the MD, can see stuff in pictures and pvr directories though; quick check revealed same for all my other MD's.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »
no, I didn't really get it resolved. I scrapped the MD and made a new one. So far its working, but I don't know if it will hold. For me this whole problem popped up, when I went on vacation for two weeks and left the core running. When I came back the disk in the md wasn't showing anymore. I inquired here in the forum about it and was told I should just reboot the md and the updatemedia daemon will find it again, which in my case it didn't. I then went on to rebuild the image and ended up scrapping that MD too and made a new one. Then after a while the abovementioned problem surfaced and I ended up booting the MD and then immediately rebooting it again to have access to the files there. I already opened a ticket for that : http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/840

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:19:03 pm »
Ok, when I reach home tonight, will check further into it, as only the contents of some directories - video and audio - I am not seeing on the MD's.

Will let you know, maybe its two separate issues!

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:26:48 am »
Quick question what is being used to share files to the MD I am seeing nfs on snapshot 23333 install, on a previous versions it was cifs?

See fstab on MD

#//192.168.80.1/home                            /home                   pluto-fuse-smb credentials=/usr/pluto/var/sambaCredentials.secret,nonempty,auto_cache 1 1
#//192.168.80.1/home                            /home                   cifs iocharset=utf8,credentials=/usr/pluto/var/sambaCredentials.secret 1 1
192.168.80.1:/home                              /home                   nfs intr,udp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,retrans=10,timeo=50 1 1
192.168.80.1:/home/camera                       /home/camera            nfs intr,udp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,retrans=10,timeo=50 1 1

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:26:38 pm »
I don't know what is being used to share those files....only thing I know is, that now on my newly installed MD the problem is back....

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:10:20 pm »
yes, prior versions used cifs for certain shares, now it should all be nfs.

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:18:05 pm »
so, do you have any pointers for me, how I get rid of this problem? So far hardware seems not to be the issue. When I log on to the MD the disk is there and so are the files. I ran some diagnostics and the disk is also good. It seems to me, that somehow Linuxmce is losing the disk, because usually after starting the MD I'm being asked to reload the router, because I added or removed something....

maverick0815

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »
it seems there is a pattern of alternation here....every second boot, the disk is gone...every other boot its there. It doesn't really make any sense to me

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »
Do you see any messages in dmesg or syslog on the MD regarding the disk after a boot? to try to isolate the cause...

br,
sambuca