Author Topic: Android Touch Orbiter  (Read 90453 times)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Android Touch Orbiter
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:21:13 pm »
Hi,

Managed to get a little bit of time tonight so got to use my DEV machine. I thought I would make available a test version of Android Touch Orbiter so that some people can have a play/test.

Please download apk from http://filebin.ca/cdxej/AndroidTouchOrbiter.apk or http://filebin.ca/cdxej

It is still pretty raw but I have tested it on the emulator and my phone (HTC Tattoo). You will need to find the port number of your proxy orbiter which is available through the web admin screens. Port is set through the menu settings and you will need to kill the app to get the settings recognised.

Try and get the source attached to a trac or something whenever I get a moment but interested if this works for anyone and what issues are encountered.
Wil also try and write up some details in a wiki page.

If you are able to get logcat outputs then that would be good if you are reporting a problem.

Have fun
Regards
Darren

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Android Touch Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:59:00 am »
Darren, I've got a version going as well...implemented some nice features into it already and localized every string in the app and translated to English, Spanish, German, Russian, Italian, Japanese, and French.  I'm working tonight to get some server-side work done to validate the user and create the devices on the core completely dynamically to make it literally just download off the market, follow the quick setup wizard in the app and start using it.  So far the UI is in place for the setup wizard in the app, just need to complete the server-side work and add a few additional features to the app and it's complete.  Orbiter itself is fully functional and quick snappy on my Droid X.

Please stop by the dev channel if you'd like to work together so we aren't ending up with separate efforts for the same task.

Regards,
Adam

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:01:40 am »
Hi Adam,

Will try the dev channel and chat - might be hard to align time zones though.

What is the server side part that you have done? Are you setting up an explicit device for it?

I have tried to keep my version as dumbed down as possible. It will currently take whatever resolution image is thrown at it and scale it to the device that is running it, this was to minimise having to change the server side ProxyOrbiter config.

Really interested to see what you have done - is the apk or the source available?

Regards
Darren

aico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 07:16:11 am »
Hello,

I got my Eken M002 some days ago and it works fine with WebOrbiter 2.0. Is it possible to install your TouchOrbiter on this device (I am very new to Android).

Will it be possible to shutdown the Tablet PC using your Orbiter?
I think it would be fine to shutdown the Orbiter when I send my home to Sleep Mode.

Regards
Johannes

gonesurfing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:20:22 am »
hi
i would like to help test this, I have an android tablet (EKEN M003 running android 1.6)
I have downloaded the app and have set up a gerneric proxiy orbiter #239 in the web admin of lmce regenerated the orbiter after setting the screen size reloaded the router I then started the orbiter and entered the settings page and entered the 239 as the port and then restarted the orbiter but it gives me a message that it failed is there anything that you would like me to try
steve

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:49:00 pm »
hi,

are you sure that you have the right port? I think the default for the first proxyorbiter is 3461

to find it go to admin then select show device tree, core->generic web device->generic proxy orbiter and then check the listen port in the device data.

You will need to restart the app after a settings change - which if you don't have an app killer might be easier to restart (or start lots of other apps)

Let me know how you go.

@aico you should be able to install on this device. The orbiter will not shutdown the tablet without a DCE device on the tablet itself

regards
Darren

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:33:34 am »
darrenmason, if you implement onResume() you can reload the settings upon re-entry to the main activity...just a quick tip so you don't have to have people rebooting their phones and all that

gonesurfing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 12:11:56 pm »
Hi
Thanks for the tip on the port number I got it working today and started to play with it here is the alogcat
http://pastebin.ca/1961784
I hope it is of some use Is there anything you would like me to try
steve

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:35:52 pm »
Hey Darren,

Using 2.2/Froyo (Enom) on an N1 - won't load for me - i have to force quit the app. logcat:

Code: [Select]
D/NativeCrypto( 8290): Freeing OpenSSL session
D/dalvikvm(  538): GC_EXTERNAL_ALLOC freed 7818 objects / 671064 bytes in 46ms
D/dalvikvm(14550): GC_EXPLICIT freed 9217 objects / 570440 bytes in 87ms
D/class com.linuxmce.AndroidTouchOrbiterActivity(14934): Size width[320.0] and y[508.0]
D/AndroidRuntime(14934): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm(14934): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001d850)
I/Process (14934): Sending signal. PID: 14934 SIG: 9
D/dalvikvm(  451): GC_EXTERNAL_ALLOC freed 14784 objects / 754104 bytes in 102ms
D/alogcat (14911): stopping ...
D/alogcat (14911): resumed

Cheers,
Adriel.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:50 pm »
Thanks for the testing guys..

@gonesurfing: Your logcat looks like a normal startup - are you getting an image displayed? I can't see any touch events in the log. Are you able to interact with it or are you just getting a black screen. You have at least given me some important info that the ANYNEWS polling seems to be working (it doesn't work on my server - so I couldn't test it properly)
Please let me know what you are seeing/ not seeing etc... One interesting thing with your setup is that your device resolution is actually bigger than the image - it will therefore attempt to scale up rather than down - which I have not tested.

@wombiroller: You don't seem to be getting far at all. I will have to look into it further. I will try and setup a 2.2 emulator to see if I can replicate. Do you go on the IRC channel at all?

I will setup emulators for both of you to test on environments closer to yours.

FYI... The behaviour that you should be seeing is;

The orbiter image displayed almost immediately on startup scaled to fit the full screen of your device in the orientation it is currently in. Most phones will look better if you turn them horizontal.

The only menu option is the settings which allows you to set the server address and port of the lmce proxy_orbiter and the polling time for the ANYNEWS check (in millseconds).

It should reconnnect when connection is lost and display a popup error when connection can't be made.

Regards
Darren

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 02:51:18 am »
@darrenmason - not often (not a dev so can't add much value) - but happy to jump on for testing. Let me know when you might be around and I will login for a bit.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 05:07:55 am »
Will see if I can replicate your results in the emulator (using 2.2) - might just be related to different API.

I developed it using the 1.5 API so it would potentially be usable by all devices.

If I can't replicate then I will try and contact you more interactively to see if we can work out what is happening...

gonesurfing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:24:31 am »
hi
 happy to be of some help,okay yesterday after changing the port number it started to work and i had the image of the orbiter and i was able to use the buttons (turn on the lights,play media,etc)  however the page was oversized and was cut of at the phone button so i tried to play with the resolution in the web admin it did not work and left me with a black screen and thats the log
today i uninstalled the app and then reinstalled as you will see from the new log it is working however it is still oversized the second log is when i rotated the screen the screen got cut of at the thermostat and the buttons were elongated and not working as well
http://pastebin.ca/1962801
steve

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:45:35 am »
Quick Update... Still working on it. Definately a problem with 2.2 that I am able to replicate. The screen scaling issues you are getting I have not been able to replicate exactly yet but will keep trying.
Will try and get a new version soon....

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 01:33:38 am »
Just got my droidx and will be testing this if needed...

Richard

P.S. darrenmason Have you ever looked further into the android on the webdt? I have android 2.1 running but no touch screen functionality.