Author Topic: What are the Stop and Menu buttons supposed to do on a DVD/Blu-ray device?  (Read 6167 times)

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
I am trying to create a device template to control my Blu-ray player using an infrared transmitter.  When I created the template, it was populated with input boxes for several commands that DVD/Blu-ray players have in common (Media Ctrl and On Screen Menu Navigation).  Almost all of the IR codes I entered work as I'd expect, but there are two commands, "#95 Stop" and "#86 Menu (Show Menu)", that I'm having trouble with.  If I enter the IR codes for those commands, then try to press the "Stop" or "Menu" buttons on an Orbiter, nothing happens.

If I look at the log for the infrared transmitter device, I see "Could not find Infrared Code for Command 87" when I press the Menu button on the Orbiter, and I see "Could not find Infrared Code for Command 763" when I press the Stop button on the Orbiter.

I must not be understanding how the Orbiter buttons are supposed to be mapped to the device commands.  Is there a reason the Stop button on the Orbiter doesn't map to command #95, and the Menu buttion on the Orbiter doesn't map to command #86?  If so, why are input boxes for commands #95 and #86 displayed automatically when a new DVD/Blu-ray device is created rather than commands #87 and #763?

My apologies if this is already documented somewhere.  I did search the wiki and forums before posting this question, but wasn't able to find an answer.

Thank you,
--Eric
Eric Severance
My setup

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
You should grab a copy of HADesigner and watch my HA Designer screencasts, for the answer to your question.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developers_Guide#9.3.1_HADesigner

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
That is not exactly an answer to his question. Why should someone adding ir Codes understand complex details of hadesigner?

Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
the non-pluto DVD screens are known to have some problems, and they do need to be fixed. However, I don't have the equipment to test.

-Thom

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
Are the problems for non-pluto DVD screens documented anywhere?  The two buttons I mentioned at the start of the topic (Stop and Menu) didn't seem to be doing the correct thing.  My question was mainly aimed at trying to confirm whether this was a bug in the Orbiter buttons, or if the buttons were intended to work this way and I needed to modify my IR template accordingly.  It sounds like this might be a bug rather than something that was intended.

The other thing I noticed was the track/channel next and track/channel previous buttons were using the same icon (rather than opposite pointing arrows).  I figured this was a bug and wasn't intended.

Could one of the LinuxMCE project leaders confirm/reject that there is a bug on the the non-pluto DVD Orbiter screens for Stop and Menu?

Thom's response might not have been what I was looking for, but after viewing some of the tutorials I have a better understanding of how to fix the issues.  I have some equipment to test with (Blu-ray player and Roku) and would be willing to develop a fix that works with my devices.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:18:36 pm by esev »
Eric Severance
My setup

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
esev, i am one of the project leaders. This is a bug.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
The other thing I noticed was the track/channel next and track/channel previous buttons were using the same icon (rather than opposite pointing arrows).  I figured this was a bug and wasn't intended.

This has been a problem with the Titanium Skin since it was first rolled out and made the default skin.  The creator has not yet fixed it.  You can switch to the 'Basic' skin and the buttons are correct.

J.

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
esev, i am one of the project leaders. This is a bug.

Thanks Thom.  I'll try to tackle this one over the weekend.  I haven't made it all the way through the screencasts yet, so feel free to ignore me if this is answered in one of them, but is there a preferred way for submitting orbiter screen changes back to the project?  Is this something I can do via a sqlCVS checkin?

This has been a problem with the Titanium Skin since it was first rolled out and made the default skin.  The creator has not yet fixed it.  You can switch to the 'Basic' skin and the buttons are correct.

I'll give this a try too.  That way I have a baseline of the intended way the orbiter screens are supposed to work.

I'm kind of a noob with LinuxMCE at this point, but am very impressed with it so far.  I've done linux development in the past and am happy to contribute back to this project where ever it makes sense.
Eric Severance
My setup

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile

I'll give this a try too.  That way I have a baseline of the intended way the orbiter screens are supposed to work.

I'm kind of a noob with LinuxMCE at this point, but am very impressed with it so far.  I've done linux development in the past and am happy to contribute back to this project where ever it makes sense.

Welcome!

I checked svn after posting and it looks like there is a ticket associated with this: http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/306.

J.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile

J.

This is something I can look at and fix..... May I?
Karel

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: What are the Stop and Menu buttons supposed to do on a DVD/Blu-ray device?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:44:22 am »
This is something I can look at and fix..... May I?

No need to ask - Just fix it  :)

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 11:07:14 am »
Thanx Posde,

I'll have a look at it tonight when I get home.

Karel

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:47 pm »
I'll try to tackle this one over the weekend.

I've added Trac ticket #839 for the orbiter changes.  I tried to submit the changes to sqlCVS via my admin web interface but was unable to because I don't have creds for the schema server.  What should I do with these changes?

http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/839

--Eric
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:45:18 pm by esev »
Eric Severance
My setup

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 06:17:03 pm »
esev has made the necessary fixes.

-Thom

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:51 pm »
That's terrific.  Great work esev!  And thanks Thom as well (for all you do).

J.