Author Topic: Orbiter failed to setup transparency  (Read 3814 times)

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Orbiter failed to setup transparency
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:28 pm »
Hi,

I saw this topic was discussed in this thread

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=1252.0

However I didn't see any helpful info here, and it was a few years ago, so I decided to post the topic again. This problem arises when I try the UI2 with alpha blending.

When I examine the xorg.config file I can see that the driver is set to vesa. From what I understand, this means that the installer did not manage to correctly identify the graphics card. This would probably cause my problem. Any suggestions how I should go from here? Can I manually hack my xorg.config to make this work?

Some info about my system:

dedicated core with AMD phenom dual core and ATI graphics. I don't have any monitor or TV connected to the core.

diskless MD with zotac geforce 9300 motherboard. Intel core2 quad. 4 GB of corsair. (this is the one experiencing the problem)

Running 810. Made a fresh install on core from DVD. Didn't do any changes in kubuntu desktop before running mce install.

Diskless MD PXE boots without problem. AV wizard works fine. UI1 works fine. I did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. No improvement.

Any help is appreciated!

regards

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter failed to setup transparency
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:27:10 pm »
I would first go into the web-admin under media directors:
Under the appropriate MD, drop down video "card" to nvidia or TNT2 and under hardware acceleration select VDPAU and hit update.

Wait a few minutes, some things might install, then reload the router.

If that does not cure it, try the "rebuilding image" button (on the same media directors page), and then reboot the core... and then the MD.

Hope that helps.
I never quit... I just ping out.

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »
Thanks for your answer! I tried all of your above suggestions, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I still get the same error message. I expected that the changes you suggested in the web interface somehow should be reflected in my xorg.config. But that file did not change. Is that normal?

I also saw in the 810 installation tutorial that you should take all updates to kubuntu before mce installation. So I reinstalled everything from scratch to do as explained in the tutorial, but nothing changed.

When I said the UI1 is working, that is actually not 100% true. The video with the speaking woman that should be playing during the setup does not work. I get a black square instead. So I guess something is very wrong with my graphics driver.

When I go to the KDE desktop on my MD it says that I am not using proprietary drivers for my Nvidia card. It suggests to use proprietary Nvidia driver version 180. I am not sure if I should do that. When the MD starts up it always shows a message that nvidia driver 195.something is used.

More suggestions are very welcome!

regards

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »
I installed the latest snapshot of 810. That solved the problem.

agibson

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:02:23 am »
i am pre newbie to this linuxmce.
so far trouble.
the error message keeps showing up after 3 loads.
do i need to redown load the image?
is my image broken?
is it broken for all?

time will tell.

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 05:36:19 pm »
agibson a little more info would be nice to try and help you.

Lately this is not very common to happen anymore, but a few notes!

Use a nvidia videocard.
Use the latest snapshot to install LMCE.
When installing from the DVD choose the correct installer, it's the last option wich states LMCE INSTALL or something like that. If you use the first option and then try installing lmce will not work correctly.

Richard