Author Topic: Screen resolution  (Read 2103 times)

ThinkCentre

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Screen resolution
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:19:59 am »
I'm using nVidia 8400 and a cheap Plasma over HDMI. I setup the resolution for LinuxMCE using the wizard, everything looks great. The problem arises when changing to KDE Desktop.

The resolution settings are wrong, everything is too small. First I started Kmenu>Settings>Display and changed the resolution to what looked like the next lowest. As soon as it switched, my monitor could no longer display the image, I didn't click anything but it never reverted back.

I used terminal to reboot and again I can see the KDE Desktop but it's resolution is wrong, but now when I select the Kmenu>settings>display (also Kmenu>applications>system>ScreenResize&Rotate) it appears to remember what I changed the resolution to last time,immediatly revert, and again i'm stuck with no input.

I want to know if-
1. There is a solution to the Display application not reverting to the previous resolution when nothing is clicked and if it's possable to change it's default back to something that my monitor can accept.

2. If Display will not revert back, I may need to switch the output over to VGA and try change the settings on a monitor. If this is the case, how can I switch the output from HDMI to VGA? Windows is a simple Fn key, is there anything like that in Kubuntu? Keep in mind I have only a very basic understanding of Kubuntu so please try to explain in layman's terms.

Cheers

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:32:39 am »
The issue stems from the fact that we explicitly disable EDID to allow working with TVs correctly.

We need some work to calculate DPI for display in the absence of the EDID data (you have to manually specify the DPI in the xorg.conf)

-Thom

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile

ThinkCentre

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Screen resolution
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:43:03 am »
Thanks for your responses!

I followed the instructions at that link posted by b4arney, I added the -96dpi line but there was no noticable change.

The first thing I did which allowed at least some of the menu text and window content to be readable was Kmenu>System Settings>Apperance>Fonts and cranked the size up.

The window titles and lots of text in applications were still unreadable.

I went back to Kmenu>System Settings>Apperance>Fonts and this time changed Force Fonts DPI to 96. This resulted in more areas of text being more clearly visable. The most important to me being the internet browser menu's when going online in LinuxMCE.

There are still resolution problems with window title text (the name of the window in KDE at the top middle) and the desktop is still not right but now it seems I can clearly view all the parts of LinuxMCE which for the moment is my main concern. I will look into changing the DPI in xorg next and see what effect that has.