Author Topic: MD booting off a CD instead of PXE?  (Read 4624 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
MD booting off a CD instead of PXE?
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:17:13 am »
I have my core running, but apparently my PC's don't support booting off of network (I have Dell Dimension 4600's with latest A12 BIOS)
I would like to start testing Pluto, but without network booting, I can't use any of my PC's as media directors!
Is there a way to make a media director boot CD?

thanks,

Jon

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: MD booting off a CD instead of PXE?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:45:59 am »
Quote from: "jondecker76"
I have my core running, but apparently my PC's don't support booting off of network (I have Dell Dimension 4600's with latest A12 BIOS)
I would like to start testing Pluto, but without network booting, I can't use any of my PC's as media directors!
Is there a way to make a media director boot CD?

thanks,

Jon

I'm using similar trick. My Asus Digimatrix has broken PXE boot in bios, so I have CD entered all the time - it boots from CD, but there is PXE boot SW emulation on CD and it works ok....

You need to search for pxe boot images and match your network card HW...

I think I started here :

http://rom-o-matic.net/5.4.2/

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:58:41 pm »
The link that Rob posted is the easiest to get a network boot rom that runs from either a CD or a floppy.

I ended up getting an old floppy drive and putting it totally inside the case with the disk permanently in it for booting. This was the easiest option for me as the CD drive gets used for media and you would have to remember to keep swapping it back in.

There are also some other alternatives for creating network boot roms out there but the rom'o'matic one works well and is easy if you can find a match for your network card.

Good luck.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:17:01 am »
Wow, thanks guys!
So lets see if I'm getting this - it still boots off of the network, but it uses some software layer to do it instead of having it built into the bios?

Also - how has the DigiMatrix worked out for you? I was thinking about getting some but wasn't sure how well it would work...

thanks again!
Jon

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 10:11:21 am »
Quote from: "jondecker76"
Wow, thanks guys!
So lets see if I'm getting this - it still boots off of the network, but it uses some software layer to do it instead of having it built into the bios?

Also - how has the DigiMatrix worked out for you? I was thinking about getting some but wasn't sure how well it would work...

thanks again!
Jon

See here:
http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/ASUS_DIGIMatrix

Please join contributors and write any usefull info you get into Wiki. That's the magic of it... Also explore Wiki, you might find a lot of useful informations.

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:58:27 am »
Thankyou Tinia, I will most definitely do that