Author Topic: Game Player and default games  (Read 3594 times)

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
Game Player and default games
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:25:35 am »
Hello,

I just installed the Game Player on some of my MDs following the instructions in the wiki (after updating to latest 810 from repository).
According to the instructions, there should be some games installed by default. If the screenshot in the wiki is taken just after the default install, then there should be a lot of games included!

When I click on the Games button that now appears in my Orbiters, I see the following names listed in the orbiter grid:
- ARTWORK ghosttown
-  ARTWORK peacock
- COPY OF ARTWORK ghosttown
- COPY OF ARTWORK peacock
- SUBTITLES ghosttown
- SUBTITLES peacock
and that's it

Trying to play any of them results in an error.

Now I was wondering: how many games should be included by default, if any?
The package lmce-mame-metadata was nearly 1.5 Gb, and the DB lmce-games, table ROM contains thousands of files listed.

I just want to ascertain whether something went wrong during the install (and if so how do I fix it), or if this is the normal starting situation with no playable games included by default?

I am aware that additional ROMs should be loaded by me into the games folder. I have not done that yet by fear of breaking things further.

Thank you!

Jean

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Game Player and default games
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:14 am »
Ahh, there is nothing wrong. It found those ZIP files, somewhere, and put them in the games list.. MAME roms are encapsulated in ZIP files, so that's why.

Go ahead, and drop ROM files in, it should be okay.

The metadata package you refer to, yes, does contain a massive database of ROM files and attributes for MAME games, so that they automatically get metadata and snapshots.

-Thom

jeangot

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:31:45 am »
Thom,

thanks for the quick reply. The confusion started from the fact that I had indeed some ZIP files in my media folders and thought these were non working sample games.
I have made some changes to the 810 MAME wiki to make this clearer (I see now that some of this was explained in the 710 MAME wiki, so I just added some of that explanation to the 810 wiki page).

One last question: is this supposed to support ROMs from any console listed in the MESS project, or only for those specific ones for which you already created directories under /games ?

Jean

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:44:52 am »
I would have thought the clue would have been....the specific directories I created under games...

Come on, man. Really? ...

I have to make specific orbiter screens for each and every game system.

-Thom

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:12:12 am »
I have to make specific orbiter screens for each and every game system.

-Thom

Hi Thom,

Is there a way I can help? If you point me into the right direction, I'm more than willing to help.  ;)

Karel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:57 am »
It's very complex. You'll need to study how media players work, to understand what's going on. If you want to do that, hit me up tomorrow, if i'm online. I start a second contract in parallel with my current one, so my time schedule just got crunched a bunch.

-Thom

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »
Im up for it.
I'll hit you up on irc tomorrow.

Thnx Karel