Author Topic: Questions About EeeBox 1501 as a Hybrid  (Read 3305 times)

JEG2

• View Profile
Questions About EeeBox 1501 as a Hybrid
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »
I've just getting into home automation, so please forgive all the dumb questions.  In fact, feel free to point out where I'm being dumb, so I can learn from my mistakes.

I'm looking for the right server to base my system around.  I'm going to start with some very simple automations, but I hope to be successful and enjoy what I'm doing so I want to leave myself lots of room to grow.

Given that, I'm thinking I want to get an EeeBox 1501 to use as a hybrid server.  I'll start with my questions about this as a server:

1.  I'm thinking I'll upgrade the RAM to 4 GB to give me plenty of breathing room for running services on it.  LinuxMCE will work well with that much RAM, right?

2.  I see there's a 1501p with USB 3.0.  I don't feel like I need that and I'm betting the compatibility in LinuxMCE will be better with USB 2.0.  Does that sound accurate?

3.  Can LinuxMCE do anything with the remote for this machine?  Just curious.

4.  I only have laptops these days, so I don't happen to have a spare monitor lying around anymore.  Is it possible to do the setup using my HD TV (over HDMI)?  If not, I do have an Apple LED I use with the laptops, but it only connects via their Mini DisplayPort.  Is it possible I could use that with an adapter?  Or do I just need to grab a monitor?

It would also be nice if I could replace my DVD player with this server.  I had a question about that:

5.  I've seen some conflicting reports so I'm asking:  can I get 1080p video out of this thing with LinuxMCE?

Thanks for the information.

James Edward Gray II

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About EeeBox 1501 as a Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:38:15 pm »
1. linuxmce is 32bits, so 4gb is not usable.
2. usb 3.0 is not supported because old kernel
3. I have a remote from asus b206, it works, so probably yours too
4. Yes I think so if you have an adapter, but in AV-wizard you have to set the appropriate output, see wiki
5. Depends on the file, I thought some MKV's are bust, but TV is possible, also depends on hardware

Finally look at the wiki, there is a lot of information.

A core needs to have two networkingcards..so your asus 1501p has a problem, it will not be a good core without it.

JEG2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:58:45 pm »
Re 4:  I don't think I need an adapter for the TV, since the Eee 1501 has HDMI out.  Right?

Re 5:  I wasn't thinking of video files so much as standard DVD's.

I am trying to hunt around the wiki to get familiar with things, but I'm still new enough that I don't always know what to look under.

I was going off the mention of a single computer should be used as a hybrid on the wiki.  I don't think I'm hardcore enough yet to want to hook a ton of devices together.  :)  So for now, I'm planning to try some pretty simple stuff.  I assume the 1501 can server enough of a core roll for those needs, but do tell me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the information.

James Edward Gray II

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:21 am »
Hi. Welcome.

Should you wish to upgrade, you'll want to make the eeeBox a media director.

You will not be able to use most of the non-media features of LinuxMCE without two network cards.

Keep in mind, that this system is a smart home platform, and as such, if all you're looking for is media playback, this system might be overkill.

-Thom

JEG2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 03:49:30 am »
I realize this isn't the preferred setup, but the wiki mentions using one computer as a hybrid (with a single network card even) in multiple places.  You guys have me a little worried though with all this energy expended on trying to talk me out of it.  :)

My hope was to be able to try LinuxMCE out without needing to buy a ton of new hardware.

I thought I would start with managing DVD's, music, and some Z-Wave lights and motion sensors.  My understanding was that this setup was capable of handling that, but feel free to tell me (again) if that's not the case.

Someday I may try moving to a real core server, but I would like to succeed in installing the system once first and getting a taste of what's possible before I change my entire house.

Thanks.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 03:51:27 am »
You can, but you lose most of the more interesting aspects of the system.

You need to understand this, when starting out.. that when you move to multiple media directors, or start using aspects of the phone system, etc.. that you wil need to go to a proper setup.

-Thom

JEG2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:02:17 am »
I understand that now.  Thanks.

Luckily, I have only one TV and stereo setup that it really needs to tie into.  And I just won't get into the phone side of things for now.  Problem solved.  :)

Seriously, thanks for the information.  I do appreciate it.

James Edward Gray II