Author Topic: INSTALLATION HELP WANTED AU$800  (Read 15332 times)

damenace

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
INSTALLATION HELP WANTED AU$800
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:55 pm »
We are having trouble setting up and customising our LinuxMCE setup. We are looking for someone who is able to help finish configuring this system and get it up and running smoothly. Below is a basic overview of our setup. If you would like further details just send me thru an email:  e.vega@optusnet.com.au

OUR SETUP:

Living Room:
o Pioneer VSX-1020 (5.1 Setup plus using zone 2 speakers to balcony)
o Samsung 3d LED 55” TV
o Samsung 3d BluRay Player
o Asus EEE Box EB1501
o Phoenix Solo
o USB UiRT

Theatre Room:
o Epson EB W8 Projector
o Pioneer VSX-1020 (5.1 Setup plus using zone 2 speakers to outside)
o Asus EEE Box EB1501
o Phoenix Solo
o USB UiRT

BedRoom:
o Samsung 32” LCD TV
o Asus EEE Box B202
o USB UiRT

STUDY:
o Samsung 32” LCD TV
o Asus EEE Box B202
o USB UiRT

SERVER RACK:
o Server PC (CORE)
AMD AM3 1090T
Asus M4A87TD-USB3
4GB RAM
64Gb Kingston SSD HDD
4x 2TB Seagate HDD
Digium Astreisk Card
Leadtek DTV2000DS Tunner Card
o Foxtel iQ2 STB (Distributed via HDMI splitter to each room)
o USB UiRT

Security
o 2x ACTi ACM-7411
o 3x ACTi ACM-1231

COMMUNICATIONS:
o 4x LinkSys SPA942

CONTROL:
o 2x Apple iPad
o 2x Apple iPhone

Need help with the following:
->Setting up and customising device templates for equipment.
->Improve picture quality from CCTV cameras. Could not get a decent picture quality from IP cameras using Motion (These are megapixel IP cameras!!). Have managed to setup Zoneminder through mythTV which gives a little bit better image but still nowhere near as clear as windows based Acti software. Just want a good quality picture not worried about motion activated recording.
->Getting Web Orbiter running smoothly for iPad/iPhone and have it auto detect correct resolution etc..
->would prefer if there was some way of using amplifier speakers instead of separate set of speakers for echo cancellatioN when using Pheonix Solo.
->Setup so that received IR commands at media directors are transmited to  USB UiRT at Foxtel box at the core (so we can still use originalFoxtel Remote)
->Customising UI (I’ll provide graphics)
->Getting the thing running stable

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: INSTALLATION HELP WANTED AU$800
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:09:48 pm »
Oh wow. an installer promised to configure LinuxMCE for a customer....and they're in over their head....

-Thom

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:46 pm »
Quite a respectable set of hardware. Although this is your first post in the forum, you must have done bunch of background research before arriving at getting all the equipment.

Your wish list is very demanding. Unfortunately, cannot help with the requests but please note that there is one company active in this forum that offer fully working setups. They might probably be able to help you.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:10 pm »
Guys, you do need to be aware, that this is most likely an installer, who promised a LinuxMCE setup for a customer, at a fixed cost, found out he was in way over his head, and is trying to buy his way out cheap.

damenace: You're not going to find that here, and those of us who can help, myself included, don't come cheap. You've got potential work hours in the triple digits to do all the work needed, and my work fee is also in the triple digits per hour. Shame on you for trying to save your own reputation like this.

-Thom

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:38:25 am »
Thom,

Why so cynical? Even if it is an installer, its another setup potentially on LinuxMCE and will potentially get some more device templates and different configurations working.

The market should decide what the rate is and I would like to see the setup they have descibed working.

Regards
Darren

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:42 am »
darrenmason,

(1) It's a violation of the Pluto license
(2) I am cynlical because I've HAD this trick pulled on me, as have a number of the core developers. You need to read between the lines.

-Thom

damenace

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 04:21:26 am »
Ok, yes I am an installer. This is an installation for a good friend of mine who has kindly volunteered to allow us to setup a test system for his new home. I have not charged him for the setup only for the equipment most of which would have been bought regardless so I don't see how I have violated any Pluto licence. 

Sorry Thom if the amount I'm offering is insulting but please give me some constructive advice rather than trying to bite my head off. From what I gather from your comments it's going to cost me tens of thousands of dollars to get this thing up and running which sounds very expensive for something that's supposed to work "out of the box" and especially from someone who claims to be able to come up with equipment drivers in 30min.

Thanks Kooma I am aware of the Dianemo system and this is one avenue I'm considering but I thought we’d have a go ourselves first. And yes I did try to follow the compatible hardware list but as you probably know most components there are either no longer manufactured, very hard to find (especially in here in Oz) or very expensive.

I've offered $800 because that's what I can afford and I'm aware that it may not get me everything I want but I think it's a start. And yes Thom I do plan to get a Pluto licence should I be able to get this system working smoothly. I like the system and would love to start recommending it to other people but if this is not in line with the vision of the project then I guess I will have to look elsewhere. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:59 am »
I will say the same thing i've told every other installer at this point.

You need to learn the system inside and out, before installing it for others. This is due to the fact that the system is extremely complex.

Yes, I did say 30 minutes to write a lighting system driver, if i have all the protocol sheets, etc.

But there is a lot more than writing device templates.

Please understand, we've dealt with way too many people who have said the exact same thing you've told us in reply, who quite frankly, see dollar signs, before they have their sense in check. It has cost me hundreds of hours in support, that has taken away from very important development time, as I had elected to undo damage that these installers had done for customers, and who the installers had subsequently dumped on us for support. I say, installers, as plural, because this has happened more than once, with different installers.

I provide support to individuals setting up their own systems, and as a matter of principle, do not provide this support to installers unless i am paid for my time.

-Thom

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 08:52:10 am »
Damenace,

I Agree with Thom, If you wanna be an installer, than you have to know the system inside out and provide ur own support for your customers.
If this is your first setup for "A Friend" then learn the system the same way I did and all the other Newbs here "Read the FORUM Topics" and dou your research.

Some advice;
Weborbiter for Iphone/Ipad --> http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Web_Orbiter_2.0
Customising UI --> http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5732.0 here you can learn HaDesigner and create your own UI.

Thom: Can I charge him for creating\changing his UI skin?  ;D

Karel
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:58:21 am by DragonK »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:43 am »
Thom: Can I charge him for creating\changing his UI skin?  ;D

I ain't Thom, but I don't think anything in PPL forbids you to charge for doing design work.

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 06:46:26 am »
Shakes head  :'(

Side Note I dont belive you will be able to get a license anyway.....
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 04:39:00 pm »
None of these products offer the full integration that LinuxMCE provides.

-Thom

nagpuri

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »

Agree.  But that's what he will get for money he has.

allensawyer23

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:41 am »
you have to stretch your budget.