Author Topic: some experiments with anti intrusion  (Read 3009 times)

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
some experiments with anti intrusion
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:53:37 am »
Hi all

I'm doing some experiments in order to setup an anti intrusion system controlled by LMCE.
Basically I have reed contacts on every windows of the house, all wiring converge to a Weeder board connected to my LMCE core.

My idea is to have a GSD (with some trivial ruby code controlling my Weeder board) with some child devices that should be set up as security sensors.

And there it comes the first trouble: when I try to add a child device to my GSD I can only add it as light device, no way to add it choosing any of the existing device template related to security sensors.
This way all child devices are not appearing under any security wizard that should allow me to decide how to react when a sensor is triggered.

Sounds like the "controlled via" property of GSD is preventing me to have full choice of device template, but I have no idea on how to settle this. I've also searched the wiki, but I was not able to find any example on this.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there anyone that can give me some pointers on what is the proper way to set it up ?

TIA
Marco

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: some experiments with anti intrusion
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:40:08 am »
It has been a while since I did anything in this area... But from memory 'controlled by' can be either a specific device template or a device category. The device template you are creating needs to have its category set right in order to have the child devices as 'addable'.

Have a look at other device templates for security boards and see what category they are using - if you use the same you should be OK.

Regards
Darren

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:44:21 am »
A small note on intrusion detection: For the renovation of our house, which will eventually become a LinuxMCE demo house, I thought about providing reed contacts throughout all the new windows. I decided against it. Instead of being notified when someone breaks in, we use shutters to prevent people from breaking in. imho that's a better way. We might add some glass breaking sensors to the windows which can't be secured by a shutter.

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:43:42 am »
Thanks guys for your replies

@darrenmason
I know very little about device categories, thanks a lot for your pointer

@posde
(provided we are speaking about the same thing) I also have (rolling) aluminum shutters on windows, but they were installed without any sensor. New windows instead came out of the factory with reed contacts preinstalled.
I agree with you that is preferable to have systems preventing people breaking in instead of being notified, maybe in the future will install some sensors on shutters also.