Author Topic: MythTV Tiny text  (Read 3053 times)

ThinkCentre

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
MythTV Tiny text
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:48:03 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post to these forums, i've held off and worked through a number of issues but i'm stuck with this one. I've got only basic Kubuntu knowledge, I recently installed the newest LinuxMCE 8.10, my machine is a basic business level PC, integrated graphics and sound, connected to my router which is linked to a HDhomerun DVB-T capture device.

I believe all the steps to install LinuxMCE were completed successfully, the PC can access the internet, play sound and Kubuntu and the UI1 display as I would expect. The tutorial with Kate or whatever her name was went well, she identified the two HDhomerun tuners although it seemed as though they may have been assumed to be routers with my router identified as a device connected to them. Either way that was ok however she could not find any guide data. I had not installed the driver or updated the firmware prior to the setup. I chose to use MythTV over the other option.

THE ISSUE: When I click the TV button on the orbiter screen i get the message:

"MythTV seems to have died. I'm trying to reset it now. If you do not see the TV, try stopping it and restarting it. If you still have any problems you may need to reboot"

pressing ok in a black screen however pressing nothong results in the message "MythTV is having problems. Reset the back end?". If I do that then i get a black screen again if I say no, then i get a basic media player type window with a black screen.

I tried using the web admin page, selected the HDhomerun from the list as my DVR, updated and restarted but still the same problem.

I searched and ran MythTV-setup on the Kubuntu desktop. This opened a gray/brown window with a list at the top left corner. The list is WAY too small to read, like 1pt size. I can press up and down to move through the menu but I have no idea what it says. If i press the esc button it seems to move to the next setup window which is all impossably small, esc again and I get another screen with a button but nothing else visible.

I tried to adjust the Xterm font size using the console commands but I got the message 'xterm xt error: can't open display: xterm: DISPLAY is not set"

I edited my xterm displaysize in the config file. When I returned to the desktop the font for the menus were MASSIVE but the MythTV text was still microscopic.

I used a different monitor with no difference.

I was under the impression that the HDhomerun was plug&play and I wouldnt even need to use the mythTV setup.

I also tried to install the driver as per the instructions on the SiliconDust website, i downloaded the tar, i ran configure make and install make but I have no idea if it made any difference. I cant see any app or GUI (as the file is called) as such on the desktop.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV Tiny text
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »
I had this too, and usually I didn't have mythTV backend properly configured. I have nothing on the small font though.

ThinkCentre

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV Tiny text
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:13:19 am »
It appears that on some occasions the mythTV-setup will start normally, other times it will show some very tiny text.

Now that I have mythTV-setup running, I have tried to add all neccesary elements but when i attempt to leave the setup I get "Unable to create file "/home/public/data/pvr/.test" - Directory not writable? Unable to create file "/home/public/data/pvr/livetv.te....

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks