Author Topic: U-Verse  (Read 2992 times)

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
U-Verse
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:47 am »
Hi,

I've just moved across the pond to the US and am about to start installing my MCE system over here to carry on playing with it.

Anyway, for the time being, be have installed AT&T's U-Verse package for internet access and TV. I wondered if anyone has any experience with using U-Verse as a TV source?

Obviously, in an ideal world, I would be able to recored the U-Verse IP-TV stream directly off the wire, but I suspect that won't be do-able (although I'd love to be proved wrong!)

Also, I don't know if I can move my STBs "inside" onto my MCE network, or if the firewall etc will then block the IPTV stream (I's rather avoid ending up with 2 LANs :) )

Thoughts?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: U-Verse
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:05:37 am »
Welcome to the US!

you should be able to move the stb's inside the LAN, you might have to forward a few ports. A little googling might help on that issue.

They are set top boxes like any other. Control them via IR, and connect a HD-PVR to them if you want to use MythTV or Legacy AV control with them.

-Thom

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 07:25:19 am »
I tried them for a while, but we were just on the edge of the DSL range...  as has been posted here recently about other all-in-one modem-router configurations, I don't know how you would be able to put anything before the box.  Even if you could pull the internet side of the signal out of the incoming wire to have LMCE first, I don't know how you would get LMCE to "read" the TV signal from the Cat 5.  If you find a way, please advise.

Really posting for another reason.  If you can't find a way to put LMCE first, you may find, as I did, that the UVerse box does not like a DHCP downstream.  It was back in January that I was testing UVerse, so I don't remember the steps, but there is a way to put the box into some sort of a bridging (IIRC) mode that will turn off the UVerse DHCP and all it to play nice with the LMCE network.

FWIW

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »
I posted a similar question when I got Uverse just over 2 years ago: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6008.0

I tried a ton of different stuff, but could never get the two to work together.  Since then, I haven't seen any actual instructions or proof that anyone has got it to work.