Author Topic: New UI1 Orbiter skin  (Read 48132 times)

aico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New UI1 Orbiter skin
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 07:17:37 am »
Hello Karel,

your Orbiter Skin looks great.

I have here an idea for the Home Menu.
Is it possilble to split the Home Menu screen to show on the left side of the screen some weather information (outside temperature, wind speed, rain...) and information about the room where you are (e.g. room temperature) also date and time would be fine and on the right side of the screen some media playing info (like you did it in your example)

Regards
Johannes

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:16 am »
I have here an idea for the Home Menu.
Is it possilble to split the Home Menu screen to show on the left side of the screen some weather information (outside temperature, wind speed, rain...) and information about the room where you are (e.g. room temperature) also date and time would be fine and on the right side of the screen some media playing info (like you did it in your example)

Johannes,

The weather details is in my design, just havent implemented it yet. The problem is that I dont have a weather station or sensors connected to my core to test with. Do you have? and is it currently showing in the orbiter screen somewhere?

Karel

aico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »
Karel,

I am sorry I don't have one - it was just an idea...

The problem ist, there are a lot of different weatherstations whitch can be connected to a PC how would it be the best way to get the weather data to the core - would it be a way to generate a xml-File with the weater data and store it on the Core or has the data to be stroed in a database? I have seen some weather station software that stores data in a MySQL database. The biggest problem ist, that most weather stations are shipped withh Windows software - how could this stations be connected? Most of this weather stations can also store the weather data in a text-file - i think it would be possible to generate an xml-file and send it to the core using an cron job... ???

This software http://www.weather-display.com/index.php supports a lot of weather stations...

Johannes

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »
DragonK
Is there some why I can test your skin?
where do I retrieve it? How do I install it?

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »
DragonK
Is there some why I can test your skin?
where do I retrieve it? How do I install it?

Sorry Bongowongo,

Its not yet available. There is still alot I need to finish before its remotely ready.
The first release will be a Beta release for everyone to test and provide feedback.
Hoping to have it ready by the 3rd week in December. Maybe in time for X-MAS........ My present to All  ;D

Karel.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 11:24:45 am »
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have rain, wind and temp sensors connected to their core?
If so, are the readings under the climate menu? Pointers to emulate it on my system as I do not have such sensors connected.

Karel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 02:22:43 pm »
Currently, such readings are only available under the floorplan.

However, one can change Orbiter to expose things as needed.

-Thom

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2010, 12:50:59 pm »
Thanx Thom.....

I'll have a look if I can emulate something like that.
I'm looking at this.....
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/NOAA_Weather
might help with my design.... going to implement it tonight.

Any sugesstions of what else to add/change in my sorbiter skin?

I'm abit behind schedule on getting the "beta" version done.
Thinking.........I must get my ASS in gear and put some long hours in to get it out there!!!!

Karel

Karel

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2010, 08:39:27 pm »

To go along with weather data:  indoor humidity.
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »
Why not just use something like weather.com for most of the weather readings like every other project does? :P

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:49 pm »
I had hoped someone would extend the climate plugin, to get weather data, and to have a screen handler for a set of Weather screens.

I guess I could do that too :P

-Thom

locutus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2010, 12:15:53 am »
Why not just use something like weather.com for most of the weather readings like every other project does? :P

After reading http://developerlife.com/tutorials/?p=18 i think you have to sign up with them, to get a license key.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:40 am »
I had hoped someone would extend the climate plugin, to get weather data, and to have a screen handler for a set of Weather screens.

I guess I could do that too :P

-Thom

Thom,

Would you be able to give me some pointers how to do it, then you dont have to do it too..........  ;D
I'm new to programming and starting with C+ only now, but I'm eager to learn from someone that would teach...

Extend the climate plugin to get weather data from "weather forecast" website? Where you can then view like a 3day weather forecast for your area? Or  am I missing the pot here?

K

To go along with weather data:  indoor humidity.
Brake, do you have climate and Humidity sensors attached to your core? If you do, what devices are you using? I need to simulate these so I can test it it, or I'll ask you to test it for me???

Karel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2010, 02:22:27 pm »
Basically, a command to get the weather data can be triggered by the screen handlers of a few different screens. This would use CMD_Update_Object_Image to update the graphic of designobjs laid out on a set of weather screens.

-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:39 pm »

After reading http://developerlife.com/tutorials/?p=18 i think you have to sign up with them, to get a license key.

You're correct, but I don't see how it's a problem...it's free, and it uses SOAP which is dirt simple to use http://www.weather.com/services/xmloap.html