Author Topic: 8.10 install - network required for apt-get update etc?  (Read 3010 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
8.10 install - network required for apt-get update etc?
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
Hi Everyone

Tonight is my first foray into the wonderful world of linuxMCE. I will be patient... please be patient with me.

Trying to install 8.10 from DVD.

I select "LinuxMCE Install" and run that, clicking all the boxes. The only glitch is a minor issue when install is complete and wants to reboot it asks to eject DVD, close tray and press enter. I do all that but enter (and any other key) has no effect... message just stays on the screen. Eventually I have to power down manually. I presume this isn't serious. Kubuntu comes up on startup no problem (it seems, I'm new to Ubuntu... been a Fedora man in the past).

OK, now I'm logged into Kubuntu and the install instructions say to run

"apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" before running the MCE installer icon.

My question is - must I have an internet connection up and running before doing this? Because it isn't  :( and I'm not sure why but I guess if that's required, I'd better sort that out first.

Thanks in advance
James

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: 8.10 install - network required for apt-get update etc?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:00 pm »
if you are going to update and dist-upgrade, you must have an internet connection, because the updates will be downloaded from the repositories. Otherwise, no updates.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:25:28 pm by pw44 »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:46 am »
The lmce DVD installer requires an internet connection to install properly.  There are many small items which are fetched from the net during the installation process.  If you try attempt the install without the network connection your system will be broken.

You do not need to perform the 'apt-get update/ apt-get dist-upgrade' as the installer does this for you automatically now.  But you will need an active internet connection so it can.

J.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:57:52 pm »
Cool, thanks for the responses. Sorted out my network config issues on Kubuntu and install has gone smoothly from there. Now if I could just get the AV set up.... but that's another post.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:32:36 am »
Your welcome.

J.