Author Topic: Setting options in installer.  (Read 2582 times)

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Setting options in installer.
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:08 pm »
Hello, I'd like to say that I'm very happy with LMCE.
I've recently installed the 8.10 successfully, and actually got everything working. :-)
The only question I have now is how to set installer options.
This is what I mean. In 7.10 their's a gui, that asks you if you want to use this system primarily for LMCE, or to start kubuntu, then start lmce manual.
It also asks if you want to install the media player software or to install the core software.
During my install of 8.10 I saw this options being passed in the terminal, and wandered where in all that code are the options are to modify the installer options.
Or could I just use the 7.10 installer.deb on the 8.10 dvd snapshot?

This is the code I'm talking about
Code: [Select]
--- start mce wizard data ---                                                   
c_deviceType=2 # 1-Core, 2-Hybrid, 3-DiskedMD                                   
c_netIfaceNo=1                                                                 
c_netExtName='eth0'                                                             
c_netExtIP=''                                                                   
c_netExtMask=''                                                                 
c_netExtGateway=''                                                             
c_netExtDNS1=''                                                                 
c_netExtDNS2=''                                                                 
c_netExtUseDhcp=1 # 1 - Yes / 0 - No                                           
c_runDhcpServer=1 # 1 - Yes / 0 - No                                           
c_netIntName='eth1'                                                             
c_netIntIPN='192.168.80'                                                       
c_startupType=1 #0 - Start Kde / 1 - Start LMCE                                 
c_installType=1                                                                 
c_installMirror='http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/'                             
c_netExtKeep='true'                                                             
c_installUI=0 # 0 - UI1, 1 - UI2M, 2 - UI2A                                     
c_linuxmceCdFrom=1 # 1 - CD, 2 -ISO                                             
c_linuxmceCdIsoPath=''                                                         
c_ubuntuExtraCdFrom=1                                                           
c_ubuntuExtraCdPath=''                                                         
c_ubuntuLiveCdFrom=1                                                           
c_ubuntuLiveCdPath=''                                                           

--- end mce wizard data ---
I'm wanting to run kubuntu at start up and then start core services manually, then start the media center.

Thanks all for your contribution. This is going to be epic.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Setting options in installer.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:20:34 pm »
There is currently no easy way of doing this and no plans to re-implement this functionality in 810.  I've dug around this a little and there is still a lot that needs to be brought together to make this all happen.

Feel free to dig in, you will need to at least familiarize yourself with the entire boot process, launch manager, pluto.conf, ubiquity for ubuntu live installer scripting, and the beta dvd creation procedure.

You can prevent the MD services from running and you can prevent some core services from running by altering pluto.conf values.

After installation /etc/pluto.conf contains AutostartCore=1 and AutostartMedia=1, set them to 0 and some core services will not start and no media director services will start, don't remember if X will still start or not though.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »
X will only start if AutostartMedia is true. However, the LinuxMCE LaunchManager will start no matter what is set. It is possible, that the Launch Manager will start X. Details in /etc/init.d/linuxmce

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:23:12 pm »
Ok, <non-sarcasm>awesome responses.. <non-sarcasm/>
So it's post installation configuration I need to be investigating.  Now that I'm looking in the right direction, I'll be looking forward to making a add on and contributing something useful, thinking may-be a GUI like startup-manager(it's a grub2 editor), of course this is me being hopeful. I may not even be able to do it. I'll let you all know what I come up with and you can let me know if it's worth the effort.

more to come.
:-) so exciting..