Author Topic: motherboard dead - 7.10  (Read 3760 times)

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
motherboard dead - 7.10
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:20:41 am »
Hi All,

I was only commenting on the forum earlier regarding upgrading to 8.10 and the fact that i can't get 8.10 running.. i swapped my working 7.10 HDD back into my core and booted it up.... all good - i went away and came back about an hour later and the core was off. I tried to reboot - no good... completely dead. Swapped the PSU and still no luck...... my dilema is as follows

Can i put a new motherboard into the machine and do a 'repair' on the existing install??? If so how do i go about it ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
Re: motherboard dead - 7.10
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:20:57 pm »
Try resurrecting your mobo by turning your PC off and taking out the BIOS battery for a few seconds, while the power is completely unplugged.
Worked for me a couple times some years back.

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:50:14 pm »
And while you're doing this, you might want to check the BIOS battery. Too low voltage  may cause various problems.

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:37:58 am »
Hi All,

To be on the safe side i replaced the cmos battery, ram and video card and no luck.

I replaced the mainboard with something i had lying around and am now trying to resurrect everything.... not liking my chances.. but you never know...

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:40 am »
Just a pointer: A friend of mine is using an ASUS P5K WS without issues under 710

justdeb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:44:30 am »
intersting - i am just in the throws of throwing in another GB mainboard and seeing if it will run with an existing install. It is the same model just slightly different in terms of pci slots. Hopefully that will work otherwsie i will be looking for an asus board.