Author Topic: LinuxMCE Splash Screen - an end in sight  (Read 15284 times)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Splash Screen - an end in sight
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:02 am »
Well, I was going to submit the splash screen to svn but I've changed my mind.

A feature freeze was declared when LinuxMCE 810 went into Beta.  This means that no new items will be added to LMCE unless they fix existing defects...  The splash screen is a feature and not a defect so it is unlikely to be included in the 810 release.  1004 uses xsplash rather than usplash so I will have to redo the splash for 1004 anyways.  So, it's not going to be worthwhile for me to spend time figuring out the database stuff needed to submit it.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.  You can still duct tape it onto the system if you desire.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:39:42 am »
phenigma,

I applaud your decision. Most anyone else does not give a flying fuck, but you do about getting this thing (LinuxMCE 810) released. Thank you for your work, and for your decision not to create another source of error. Hopefully, others will follow suit.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57:34 pm »
I did think long and hard about it and it comes down to this:  I *really* want to see 810 hit release so we can keep moving forward and I'm quite likely to introduce bugs with my first package definition.  ;)  I'll keep learning and dig into tickets as I feel I have the ability.

J.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »
[..]I'm quite likely to introduce bugs with my first package definition.  ;) 

You would have been the first person to create a new package definition that worked out of the box
I'll keep learning and dig into tickets as I feel I have the ability.

Thanks. Fixing those bugs is really helpful. Even verifying the bugs is something that helps us a lot.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »
Hi,

not that it is so important for me, just a minor thing. Using DVI to HDMI adapter I don't get any splash screen at all, just good old text messages running over the screen. Very nice for debugging /seeing error ;)
Is this normal ?

Viking

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 11:41:16 pm »
You should normally see the kubuntu splash screen on an LMCE 810 install.

My Zotac ION doesn't show a splash or text during boot if I use the vga connector to my television but it does if I use the HDMI connector.  I have not tested DVI but it should be the same as the HDMI.  I would expect you should be able to see a splash screen, especially if you've got boot text scrolling.

You should try adding a vga=xxx line to the kernel boot options.  Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and find the '# defoptions ....' line and add 'vga=791' (for 1024x768x16, as an example) to the end of that line.  Save the file and run 'update-grub' then try a reboot.  Your television may or may not support that resolution (mine does) so you can always try others in that case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

Running 'hwinfo --framebuffer' at the console should spit out a list of supported video modes on your system, these may or may not be supported by your television.

J.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 02:10:06 pm »
Hi,

thanks a lot for your answer.
Hmm, in the config file for PXE boot there is no vga= setting. I could add it here, but I am interested in fixing this for others too - what is the normal content here ? Should it contain a vga= entry ?

Code: [Select]
# cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/01-00-1f-d0-9b-18-1f
DEFAULT Pluto
LABEL Pluto
KERNEL 44/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=44/initrd.img ramdisk=10240 rw root=/dev/nfs boot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.80.1:/usr/pluto/diskless/44

default config file contains this :
# cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

DEFAULT Pluto
LABEL Pluto
KERNEL default/vmlinuz
APPEND root=/dev/nfs acpi=off vga=normal initrd=default/initrd ramdisk_size=10240 rw ip=all apicpmtimer

Viking

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »
The vga=xxx line is used to force the framebuffer to a specific video mode (resolution and bit depth).  Many card/monitor combos need no alteration and switch modes without the need to force a specific mode.  Every monitor/tv/display supports different resolutions.

I havn't reviewed the code around the pxeboot.cfg file to know if it is safe to alter anything there at this time.

The vga=xxx line would be added to the 'APPEND ...' line in the pxeboot.cfg file for your specific MD I believe.  Of course you would probably have to re-add this line to the .cfg file if you rebuild your MD image.  Don't alter the default file, I havn't checked the code to see if it would break anything.

J.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »
Hi phenigma,

thanks for the Info. I will test it when  I find some time - maybe this weekend. And if it works I will post a subject on trac.

Viking

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 09:14:48 pm »
Let me know how you make out.

J.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »
Hi,

adding the vga=791   to the APPEND line did only change the resolution. Not change from text to Splash Screen.
There must be something else missing

DEFAULT Pluto
LABEL Pluto
KERNEL 44/vmlinuz
APPEND vga=791 initrd=44/initrd.img ramdisk=10240 rw root=/dev/nfs boot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.80.1:/usr/pluto/diskless/44

Viking

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:37 am »
ah, yes, you need the word 'splash' on the append line.

J.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:44 pm »
I've had a request to re-post the splash screen.  The link in first post has been updated.

J.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 11:48:53 pm »
I applaud your restraint. I could use some.

I am working on building new DVD builder from two directions (removing non-free and never installing them). I am including your splash, lest you protest, because it is a product of the organization who create the current splashes. I have looked into it enough to know that it should not interfere with anything. Adding the line to the grub menu to address the shutdown also fixes the native nvidia shutdown problem without interfering with ati or via. If G** crashes, that would make me very sad inside, but I believe the greater good is served.

Thank you for your contribution, and discretion. I want to be like you when I grow up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:50:54 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 03:25:28 am »
You're welcome to use the splash screen for any purpose you see fit!

At one time I had all the patches to fix the splash screen behaviour for Core and MDs and I had incorporated it into build-replacements.sh to build as part of the system...  it's gone now, but recreated easily enough.  Learned lots doing it.  I'll try to keep this .deb online if it goes down and I receive requests for it.

Keep having fun!

J.