Author Topic: Only eth0 works  (Read 3363 times)

Tred

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Only eth0 works
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:20:41 pm »
When I was installing LinuxMCE and was booted into Kubuntu (before I ran the install script) I could connect with both eth0 and eth1 (they're identical and both on the motherboard)
Now that I have linuxMCE installed I can get the core to either connect to the internet with eth0 but then it doesn;t give out IP addresses or if I switch the interfaces in web admin it will give out IPs and not connect to the external network. I've tryed reinstalling and have the same problem if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Garbui

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Only eth0 works
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:14:16 pm »
Hi Tred,
I have been having similiar issues with my install and originally thought it may have been due to a conflict with my modem/router however my setup is in accordance with recommended setup on wiki. It now seems that the internal Eth1 network seems fine after reboot but only for  short perod of time after that webadmin is unable to be accessed from any device connected to Eth1 switch nor access internet.

Not sure if it is related but in this post http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10365.0 the DCERouter kept crashing after 14minutes. Anybody know if the issues are related and if the fix used is applicable. I will give it a go when i get home.

Thanks
Garath

Tred

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:56:15 am »
I eventually just enabled one of my on board NICS in BIOS and added a PCI card :/

justdeb

• Veteran
  • Hope to become good enough to teach others
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 06:36:12 am »
i am glad this is not just me who is running into this issue.

In my case i had a completly working 7.10 core with this setup and all works well. I put a new HDD in and decided to try 8.10 and installed it from dvd and now i can't even get a internet connection at all. I have tried dhcp, manuallly configured addresses and still no internet connections.  I am at a loss to explain why it won't work as the hardware works perfectly under 7.10..

Any thoughts ?

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:53 pm »
to all above, what nic's do you all use?

If it's forcedeth, you'll have problems, especially with eth1, eth0 just get's a new IP from the router, so it works.

eth1 is given a static ip of 192.168.80.1 and will not work when switching cables.

Look at your ifconfig and research, i suspect your MAC numbers of your NIC's change each time you reboot.
You can try to fix this with 70-persistent-net-rules or the easier way is too just disable 1 nic and put in another gigabit nic that works.

Hope it helps,

Richard

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 06:55:10 pm »
There is a wiki entry regarding the changing mac issue.