Author Topic: MD broken after latest update & upgrade  (Read 12013 times)

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MD broken after latest update & upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 12:55:53 pm »
Hi
Thanks for the post I got taken to hospital with bleeding on the brain last Fri night and my family are stuck at home with no md so if the possy has found a simple solution I can easliy implement when I hopefully get home from the hospital next week that would be great as it would to hard for me to implement too many changes to the system until I fully recover,

Thanks to everybodys help with working on a possible soloution with this issue as I am only an average user and can follow step by step instructions so all this help is very much appreciated

Cheers
Beeker

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 05:36:28 am »
Thanks for the post I got taken to hospital with bleeding on the brain last Fri night

holy crap man, are you alright?

Good luck and get better quick.

Richard

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 05:52:11 am »
Hi Richard,
In a great hospital with totally awesome doctors and nurses, it's a bloody hard gig they have and I can only thank them from the bottom of my heart for all their help and support. I am recovering really well and planning on going back home tomorrow and if possy finds an easy fix then that would be great as my 2.5 year is nagging mum for the md
Thanks for your kind thoughts Richard and what brought me back down to reality was there was a poor elderly gentleman here that taught me a saying of "Life is a brief interruption to a long and peaceful existence 
Cheers
Bruce

Bruce

stallione

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:02 pm »
Good Luck with your recovery. I can understand partially what you are going through. I am dealing with a long term injury on my left leg resulting from a motorcycle accident still going on after a year and a half. Had another surgery on May 22nd and am back on crutches.
On a lighter note, I blame LinuxMCE. It took over my life and I can't think about anything else including when I am driving or having sex :)

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »
I can't think about anything else including when I am driving or having sex
Thanks for the kind thoughts and it hasn't consumed me that much yet..................I don't want to even think about LinuxMCE ever replacing sex ;D

Cheers
Bruce

DEMNVT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:17 am »
Hope you get well soon mate. That sounds pretty serious.

And yeah, sex is definitely still ranked on top of LinuxMCE for me too. Although I think it may have spoiled the odd romantic evening from time to time.

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 07:03:33 am »
Hi All,
Thanks for everybody thoughts and support and I finally got home today and the neurosurgeon said I have to refrain from work, driving and most frustrating sex for six weeks, I am going to be an emotional wreck after that. So I plan to try and fix my MD issue so I can rest on the couch and watch some movies..................still have the black screen of death on the MD with the error msg of can't load openGL

If someone could give me some tips of where and what to look for in some log files I will be able to post that and I am sure someone will be able to find the problem

Any help very much apprecited and thanks to everyone on the forums that have sent such kind and thoughtful wishes for a speedy recovery

Cheers
Bruce

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 07:26:34 am »
Hi All,
Just an update I have done an update & upgrade to the core & md and still no difference and I apologise the actual msg on the md is "orbiter failed to generate openGL

Bruce

DEMNVT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 03:46:20 am »
Hi Beeker,

I see from your other thread that you have fixed the OpenGL message. Did you try my (or should I say pw44's) suggestions about fixing the samba issues:

it can be related with the samba update. take a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and see if the unix extension = no. if it states yes, change to no (core/hybrid AND md), restart samba.

I had the same issues with not being able to access any media from the MD's and the solution above solved the problem.

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 04:00:08 am »
Thanks very much for the tip. I am still suffering mild confusion at times so I really everybodys help and I will give it a go and let you know how it goes
Kind regards
Beeker

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 01:18:08 am »
I checked the samba and it was "yes" so I changed it to "no" and rebooted the core and now I can access media on the md only through a weborbiter not from the on screen UI which is bizarre, and I noticed when the md boots up I can see there is a sql error so I am wondering if the databases on the core are some how now so screwed up that I have no option but to do a complete reinstall?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this or is there something I can check to see if this is the cause, as I don't want to waste everybody's time if it is best just to do a complete rebuild?

Thanks
Bruce

DEMNVT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 03:10:56 pm »
Hey Bruce,

Did you change the samba config on both the core and the MD?

Maybe post the SQL error that you are getting as that sounds like it might be a separate issue. Can you access mysql on the core from the MD and see the databases?

Cheers,

Lukas

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »
Hi Lukas,
Thanks very much for the tips, I know how to ssh into the MD through the core but how do I check mysql on the core and see all the databases, could I ask a huge favour would you mind giving me the cmd line instructions required to check your questions, this would save me searching the forums which I am finding difficult at the moment due to my current health situation as I don't have a lot of energy and my short term memory is slowly finally improving along with my health and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and kind regards
Bruce

DEMNVT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 08:45:30 am »
Hey Bruce,

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. I'm at work right now and don't have my MD on at home, but I'd say this will get you through:

$ sudo ssh moonXX
root@moonXX$ mysql -u root -h 192.168.80.1 -p
-- Just hit ENTER when asked for the password.
mysql> show databases;
mysql> USE pluto_main;
mysql> SELECT * FROM Device;
mysql> exit

As long as you see a table of results when you do the SELECT * that means everything should be ok with the database connection.

As I mentioned, if you can post the error that would help a lot.

Cheers,

Lukas

Beeker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »
Hey Lukas
Thanks very much for you help and I followed your instructions and I have included the screen print out of the SELECT cmd, hopefully I will be feeling better again tomorrow and I will reboot the MD and then post the on screen SQL that happens s it boots up.

I got the wife to download the latest snapshot from her work today just in case I ultimatley have to go down the rebuild process

Once again thanks to you and everybody on the forums for all the help and support during my recovery process it is very much appreciated and I hope I can return the favor one day

Cheers
Bruce