Author Topic: Disked Media Director really not possible?  (Read 2533 times)

bp5

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Disked Media Director really not possible?
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:42 am »
Greetings all. I've been playing with 0810 for a few days now and am very impressed, but I can't seem to get a MD working other than the hybrid. I tried an old tablet Windows machine with 500MB RAM and got as far as AV setup but then it failed to get much further. I tried a Toshiba Portege (about 12-18 month vintage) and it wouldn't even get that far, it got it's IP address and said it was running DisklessSetup.sh but then hung.  I have a Media Center type PC with a fujitsu bios but even though I set it to boot from LAN it seems to ignore it (if I disable everything but the LAN it refuses to try to boot anything).  So if it is possible to get an image that will boot from USB or something else I'd like to try, can someone point me at some instructions?

I have read lots of posts about why pxe booting is so much more desireable but the hardware I have to hand seems to disagree!

Thanks all,
Blaine

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Disked Media Director really not possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »
Greetings all. I've been playing with 0810 for a few days now and am very impressed, but I can't seem to get a MD working other than the hybrid. I tried an old tablet Windows machine with 500MB RAM and got as far as AV setup but then it failed to get much further. I tried a Toshiba Portege (about 12-18 month vintage) and it wouldn't even get that far, it got it's IP address and said it was running DisklessSetup.sh but then hung.  I have a Media Center type PC with a fujitsu bios but even though I set it to boot from LAN it seems to ignore it (if I disable everything but the LAN it refuses to try to boot anything).  So if it is possible to get an image that will boot from USB or something else I'd like to try, can someone point me at some instructions?

I have read lots of posts about why pxe booting is so much more desireable but the hardware I have to hand seems to disagree!

Thanks all,
Blaine

Did you run DisklessCreateTBZ.sh? on the hybrid?
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

bp5

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
UPDATE: yes, but not trusting my eyes I re-ran it and then I tried some of the laptops and then I realized that I needed to be REALLY PATIENT  when you see DisklessSetup.sh to let it build the MD the first time the laptop booted, now the laptops seem to work as MDs (but on AV setup I needed to set the UI to lightweight).

Encouraged, I decided that there must be something on the Media-Center PC that was preventing the boot from LAN even though it was first priority and I disabled every other device. Lo and behold, eeep inside a sub-menu in a part of the BIOS I'd never seen on any other machine there was a setting to enable ROM for LAN boot.

CONCLUSION:  all devices now seem to happily boot as diskless MDs so only mildly curious about disked MD booting, as it looks like boot time wouldn't be a huge difference between disked or diskless.

Thanks for the suggestion,
signed,
A Happy LMCEer

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:20:01 pm »
Isn't it nice, that sometimes things work as expected and not tape is required :D