Author Topic: Touch Orbiter for WinCE 5.0 - Why not port it to your favourite Device/OS?  (Read 40548 times)

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Touch Orbiter for WinCE 5.0 - Why not port it to your favourite Device/OS?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:25 pm »
small bit of progress - have a .deb that will install and un-install the TouchOrbiter on the N900.
Its not using the icon I'm telling it to but is putting the shortcut in the right desktop group.

btw - what is the correct way to exit the TouchOrbiter? the Exit Orbiter button doesn't get displayed for this type of Orbiter.

-Coley.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 06:02:53 pm »
small bit of progress - have a .deb that will install and un-install the TouchOrbiter on the N900.
Its not using the icon I'm telling it to but is putting the shortcut in the right desktop group.

btw - what is the correct way to exit the TouchOrbiter? the Exit Orbiter button doesn't get displayed for this type of Orbiter.

-Coley.

In the reference CuWin version we implemented the exit as a 'long' press of the touch screen as we did not intend the WinCE desktop to be visible of usable to the end user. This will not be the case on the N900 or other similar devices eg Android devices clearly.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »
You can choose the exit method. On the CUWIN3500 I use a long tap gesture that WinCE provides and display a dialog box asking you if you want to quit if you use this gesture.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 01:11:32 am »
Got a couple of hours on the weekend to spend on this - have the basic Android Touch Orbiter working. Still need to sort out some of the quirks in how the co-ordinates are being returned on a touch event but orbiter is working both on emulator and my phone.

Will clean up hopefully tonight or tomorrow night and make available to all.

ps; The problem with the image streams I was having seemed to be related to different Readers and InputStreams using the Socket Input Stream. I was reading the first line using a Reader object and the byte buffer using a DataInputStream. Changed the first line read to use the same DataInputStream and seem to be OK at the moment.

Darren

buckle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 05:56:16 pm »
ps; The problem with the image streams I was having seemed to be related to different Readers and InputStreams using the Socket Input Stream. I was reading the first line using a Reader object and the byte buffer using a DataInputStream. Changed the first line read to use the same DataInputStream and seem to be OK at the moment.

Darren

haha...I had a similar experience when creating the UnOrbiter.NET (touch orbiter for .NET framework).

The problem manifested itself in a different way, but it was essentially the same problem.  I used one object(StreamReader) to read the first line (it has support for ReadLine method) to get the image size and another(Stream) to grab the rest of the stream.  I didn't pay close attention to what the StreamReader was doing to the buffer.  Lesson learned :) 

This shortcut cost me some headaches, for sure, so I feel your pain.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 01:02:21 am »

Darren

haha...I had a similar experience when creating the UnOrbiter.NET (touch orbiter for .NET framework).

The problem manifested itself in a different way, but it was essentially the same problem.  I used one object(StreamReader) to read the first line (it has support for ReadLine method) to get the image size and another(Stream) to grab the rest of the stream.  I didn't pay close attention to what the StreamReader was doing to the buffer.  Lesson learned :) 

This shortcut cost me some headaches, for sure, so I feel your pain.

Yeah, sounds very similar. It was starting to drive me nuts - especially the fact that how something so simple could not be working.

Anyway, got some more time on the Android orbiter last night. Managed to tidy up a bit of code and preferences is working from the menu button.
I also added the code for the 'ANYNEWS?' check. This does not work on my server at all but I have looked at the ProxyOrbiter source and it should work where the functionality is present. Still need to look at it from a threadsafe point of view but the functionality is basically there.

What is the best way to get this to some people to test? Also, should this source go into the main linuxmce svn repo?

As a first version it should be functional. The main thing that I would like to add however is the ability to zoom in and out. I am using it on my phone which is probably the smallest android screen available (HTC Tattoo) and it is usable but would benefit from a zoom ability. This can wait till a second version though.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »
As with any code, I'd like to have it in public SVN eventually. The sooner the better. If you don't have an SVN account, upload your source to filebin and post a link here, and one of us with accounts will add it to SVN.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 12:49:59 am »
No problem...

Went to do this last night but there is a still a bug that I want to work out first. Should get done over the weekend.

How do I go about getting a SVN account? I will need this to have tickets assigned to me won't I?
In the mean time, will use filebin as suggested.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 07:56:28 am »
If the size of the source code ain't too big, just create a feature_patch ticket in trac and attach the archive to it.

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »
Hey Coley

I don't suppose you could upload what you have done re: n800 to SVN, I am playing with the source for the mini2440 by mihajzm but as your previous post indicates you have already started to create the deb package. Otherwise I will continue with what I am doing :)

Cheers
Slampt

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 08:39:27 pm »
slampt - what dev environment are you using? I was using QT creator and it is somewhat broken when creating anything more than a simple deb. I haven't been back to this since to get it going on scratchbox. Are the .pro files of any use to you?
-Coley.

slampt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 11:34:06 am »
I have been developing on my n810, I have made some slight changes too the mini2440 code to get it to work nicely on the n810 (so far so good).
Now I just need to build the deb package.  I will tidy up a few things then submit it to track so someone can add it to the svn (if they like).

Cheers
Slampt

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:25 am »
I have been developing on my n810, I have made some slight changes too the mini2440 code to get it to work nicely on the n810 (so far so good).
Now I just need to build the deb package.  I will tidy up a few things then submit it to track so someone can add it to the svn (if they like).

Cheers
Slampt

Hey thats great news :-)

I'd like to encourage everyone who is working on a version of Touch Orbiter to place their code into trac/svn as early in the process as possible - and to regularly update it after that. Also please setup a basic Wiki page for your version too. Sharing your code and experiences is really very valuable.

All the best

Andrew

Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »
Now I just need to build the deb package.  I will tidy up a few things then submit it to track so someone can add it to the svn (if they like).
If you need help with the debs, please let me know. I can help.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 06:19:28 pm »
Why are you developing a proxy orbiter client on a device that we already have a native orbiter?

-Thom