Author Topic: What are desired features of Audio amplifier or receiver ?  (Read 7704 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
What are desired features of Audio amplifier or receiver ?
« on: October 25, 2005, 10:34:27 am »
Hi,

I'm deciding on what AV equipment to buy for new house. I'll basically have one major sett of speaker in living room, and other rooms with audio speakears in. I won't spend $$$ on multi room audio equipment, cause it costs IMHO too much. I will go with cheap sound cards in Core to produce multiple stereo channels, that will be amplified to rooms. I also want to buy 1 main amplifier/receiver that will be located next to Pluto for living room...

I wonder if anyone has good solution for small amplifiers for rooms and also what features to seek for main receiver that I want to control from Pluto (but do want to be controlled with some kind of rs232 or other protocol control and not simulation of IR remote)...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 07:51:21 am »
I'm not sure who makes a reasonably priced amplifier with rs232.  Most of the receivers/amplifiers that have RS232 are fairly high-end and expensive.

Another possibility is I read somewhere that a company was manufacturing amplified speakers with an ethernet port and streaming audio built-in, and they weren't too expensive.  I cannot find that product anymore though.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:49:53 am »
Here is a receiver that I plan on using. You'll have to pay attention as not all have RS232. Check the manuals to see. I think any models > 5500 series should.
http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

Here's the one I'm interested in:
http://us.marantz.com/Products/1120.asp

Regards,
Cordel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 10:37:28 am »
I like this one:

http://www.barix.com/products/exstreamer_gold_distributed_audio.html

"Barix Exstreamer Gold
Network based MP3 player with integrated amplifier for digital audio streaming"

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 11:43:07 am »
Hi,

I am planning to buy the brand-new Denon AVR-4306
It has a build-in Ethernet-Port with Audio-Streaming.
See here: http://www.denon.de/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=263

ok, this is not the cheapest solution, but I like all it´s features.

Would it be possible to use this appliance with plutohome ?

-Heiermann

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 11:47:03 am »
That looks great.  We may need to add some protocol or do some tweaking.  But it looks like a good solution.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 12:15:14 pm »
Quote from: "cordel"
Here is a receiver that I plan on using. You'll have to pay attention as not all have RS232. Check the manuals to see. I think any models > 5500 series should.
http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

Regards,
Cordel

Hi,

thanks for info. It looks interesting. I just wonder if one can get hands on rs232c protocol for each A/V device. Remember that some time ago, rs232c protocol was hidden and only meant for bigger integrators...

Does anyone know if this changed ?

Does Pluto support already some devices through rs232c ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 01:01:17 pm »
For Denon we already have the rs232 protocols--it was easy.  I haven't tried for marantz

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 02:03:38 pm »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
For Denon we already have the rs232 protocols--it was easy.  I haven't tried for marantz

Take a look at the Remote Control Codes here for the codes for the Marantz SR 5500 http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProductDL&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3196&single=1 But my gues is they are the same as the Denon codes.

Regards Per

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 03:47:19 pm »
it's not the same as denon, but it's also a very simple protocol

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 04:48:42 pm »
Quote from: "perbau"

Take a look at the Remote Control Codes here for the codes for the Marantz SR 5500 http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProductDL&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3196&single=1 But my gues is they are the same as the Denon codes.

Regards Per

Hi,

pardon me, I'm newbie. How do remote control codes relate to rs232c protocol ? I always thought that this is generally different thing...

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 05:35:17 pm »
>> pardon me, I'm newbie

With 230 posts over 6 months, I think you're not a newbie anymore :)

When you want to control a/v equipment, you can do it many different ways.  Most just use a gc100/tira/irtrans and send i/r codes.  But you can also use gsd.  Look at the Denon AVC rs232 receiver.  it is a gsd device.

internally to pluto none of that matters.  when it's time to turn the receiver on, it sends an on command to the receiver.  if the Denon receiver's command line is 'generic_serial_device' (like the denon's is), then gsd will expect the i/r table to contain ruby code snippets that it uses to send commands over rs232.  if the denon receiver has no command line and doesn't implement dce, but is a child of a gc100, then the on command goes to the gc100, which assumes the i/r data contains a code in pronto format.

The link he provided shows the Marantz rs232 protocol.  To add a device template for it, choose wizard/devices/a/v equipment.  add device, choose manufactur: marantz, category: receiver 'add' new model and choose 'gsd'.  Fill out the wizard, be sure teh marantz is added to the a/v page.  Then go to wizard/devices/generic serial devices.  click 'edit ruby codes' for the marantz, and in each of the boxes supply the commands marantz provided in the document.  this is exactly teh same like with the denon rs232.  

Of course you can mix and match--soem a/v equipment rs232, some is infrared.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 07:34:11 pm »
>> pardon me, I'm newbie

With 230 posts over 6 months, I think you're not a newbie anymore :)

Hi,

thanks for info. I hope at least some of those mails were constructive  :) . I meant I'm newbie when it comes to controlling and choosing AV equipment.... I didn't look close enought posted link. I was at another Marantz site where same link (remote control codes) brought me into Excel file with RC5 coides, but rs232c column was empty. so I just assumed (wrong as usual  :D ) this is the same file....

Maybe I'll go with Marantz, but will be happy if others will post their experience and audio setups...

Thanks,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 07:04:14 pm »
Hi,

Marantz sr5600 is now sitting on my desk, but rs232 communication just doesn't work - I must be missing something obvious...

I found 2 quite confusing docuements about possible rs232 protocol :

- http://us.marantz.com/689.asp?category=AV&model=SR5600&go.x=14&go.y=11

it describes command as ASCII commands ....

- http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProductDL&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3512&single=1

This excel documents describes commands in binary form (sequence of numbers)...

I don't know which one is right, but I'm trying both and just don't get any response nor action on Marantz. I've setup 9600, 8n1 serial port and connected to Marantz...

Anyone with some advice or better idea how to solve this one ? I couldn't find any more info about this on Internet...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 01:58:01 am »
Update: it was a cable problem. Two male connectors on devices suggested use of null modem cable, but actually non-standard straight cable with two female connectors oin both side was the key to solution.

Connection now works...

Will post further question on other thread....

Regards,

Rob.