Author Topic: Does anyone have a solid solution for playing back HD Files .ts .mkv bd/hd rips  (Read 1377 times)

rodercot

Hey All,

So I setup three MD's all on different platforms. ION330, An Zotac ION board with a GT-220 PCI-E add on and a 7300C2D with a GT-240. None of them will play any of my hd files. Question here - I see the MD pulling nvidia 173.xx.xx on the way up, where and how exactly is 195 introduced and installed at which point I never see a record of it and is tha the GLX version.

All of my HD-DVD rips are .mkv files vc1 or h264 1080p with either dts core 1536 or later ones I kept DDplus to TruHD and BD are ripped std as .ts with a vc1 or h264 1080p video and dts core or TruHD - These are passed through anyhow, these all play fine with xbmc's mplayer with about a 8 month old SVN checkout. to be honest I have never on any system been able to get mplayer to play a file decently on any desktop only ever inside a closed system like xbmc or boxee - still xbmc...

I either have sound and no video or video and no sound, I have tried .m2ts. I have upgraded mplayer on one md to jya's latest including the x264-83 libs just to test it plays somewhat on the desktop in kde. as for xine read all the forum threads and forced the xine version that was available from Thom. No dice there either.

Where do we start to get a SOLID playback device for everything, I know you guys are working on xine. I even tried compiling and building 1.19 xine from there site with no luck.

xbmc playback is done with a modified mplayer with ffmpeg latest. there are still hiccups with vc1 files but they do play with workarounds everything else just plays most of the time without trouble. How deeply is xine integrated with pluto?

Can we make this a constructive thread please... I would really like to make something work so I can move forward with this installtion and move these three machines OUT of my office - LOL.

Thanks,

Dave

posde

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Dave,

no, this won't be a constructive thread.

The only thing I will say from my point of view is this: We have a gazillion pieces where we have problems. Playback of ripped/downloaded mkv's is one of them. It is not on priority number one.

We use xine as our media playback engine. Eventually this might change. It won't for the foreseeable future, due to the things you already know, like missing manpower.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Could a quick and dirty solution be to install VLC in the KDE desktop?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

rodercot

Dave,

no, this won't be a constructive thread.

The only thing I will say from my point of view is this: We have a gazillion pieces where we have problems. Playback of ripped/downloaded mkv's is one of them. It is not on priority number one.

We use xine as our media playback engine. Eventually this might change. It won't for the foreseeable future, due to the things you already know, like missing manpower.

Posde,

Thanks for the neutral reply. OK Granted downloading files does prove problematic. I am not into that (I already rebuild windows xp about every three months so adding insult to injury by downloading viruses or trojans does not excite me). I own 2000+ movies they are all boxed up in the basement, I have ripped everyone of those movies, with various different programs. All my movies be them HD 1080P are ripped to .mkv as much as 3 years ago latest with makemkv (when we had to make profiles - LOL) or tsmuxer turned into .mkv or .ts files so downloading with new versions for me is not the issue going from a playable xbmc system to a non-playable media system is to re-gress. I can demux a couple files and test just the raw video or audio to test as well, but the fact remains anything VC1 is not playing nor H264 outside a blocky non-synced mplayer svn from 01/2010 via jya's repos.

In the past what I did was actually have an MD and a 2nd ubuntu machine in the same cabinet in the living room and setup the 2nd pc as a dvd device which then a scenario did the switching and used xbmc I can do that again with this system but having two machines at every md location make things expensive. I wish I could code I would love to throw my hat in the ring with you guys and help with something.

It would be different if anything I tried from the desktop even gave a glimmer of hope but nothing seems to work even from the desktop.

Devs- this is not a beat up the devs thread please note that I am ONLY trying to bring any options to the surface to make this possible.

purps, I will give that a go and it may work ON The DESKTOP but no integration from the UI.

rgds,

Dave

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Devs- this is not a beat up the devs thread please note that I am ONLY trying to bring any options to the surface to make this possible.

How about the "option" where you get off your lazy whiny arse and actually look for ways to contribute towards realizing your goal?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rodercot

How about the "option" where you get off your lazy whiny arse and actually look for ways to contribute towards realizing your goal?

Hey Zaerc,

You are just not worth it, Go fuck yourself...you loudmouth little shit. Ban me I do not give a fuck. I have been back less than one week and your BS surfaces. I will reload my mythbackend this weekend and setup and program my ADA system and continue on my merry way. I have spent five days in a row trying to make this sytem work till three in the morning everyday with every google solution I can think off, and if I had found one it would be posted here. So call me lazy... Fuck you.... I am out....

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile

Hey Zaerc,

You are just not worth it, Go fuck yourself...you loudmouth little shit. Ban me I do not give a fuck. I have been back less than one week and your BS surfaces. I will reload my mythbackend this weekend and setup and program my ADA system and continue on my merry way. I have spent five days in a row trying to make this sytem work till three in the morning everyday with every google solution I can think off, and if I had found one it would be posted here. So call me lazy... Fuck you.... I am out....

LMAO, don't let the door hit you on the way out!  ;D
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
We're trying to investigate all options at present, right now, there are a few options, and all of them are being investigated in parallel:

(1) backport the mkv stuff from later xine's to ours. niz23 has a version of xine which has this, and it works more a lot more files, a few do slip through though.
(2) rewrite the DCE wrapper for the VideoLan client. One person is looking at this.
(3) write a new player based on gstreamer.

All three have the same amount of difficulty. and will produce varying results, this is the cost of gathering data to produce a solution that works best.

It is important to realize, that LinuxMCE's media infrastructure is like the rest of LinuxMCE, very abstracted and modular, the system does not care what media player is underneath, only that it can control it.

-Thom

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Guys,

If you want.
Do a apt-get update && apt-get upgrade and install updated libxine1.
It contain an updated mkv demuxer. Not the very latest container version.

Try it out and give me feedback on how it works.

Re libxine 1.1.19. It is very easy to build if you want.
Unfortunately it do not contain any support for gpu offload, like vdpau.

I´m looking toward how to merge vdpau to latest xine, but as xine devs have no interest in it it´s up to use to solve.
Backporting xine demuxers from newer versions is not a very big job as long as they do not touch the core of libxine.

With the version I have I can play all my files at home. Including hd livetv recordings.

/niz23