Author Topic: Constant Internet Connection on linuxmce 8.10  (Read 3643 times)

tycoon79

• View Profile
Constant Internet Connection on linuxmce 8.10
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:05:19 am »
Hi..Is Constant internet connection is needed after a complete installation of linuxmce 8.10,does linuxmce require an internet connection every time it boot up?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Constant Internet Connection on linuxmce 8.10
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:03 am »
No, you will lose functionallity like youtube, internet, and updates etc.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:29:06 pm »
LinuxMCE regularly does check for updates (currently it does not work, but it still does), and whenever you add a CD/DVD into your system it does a lookup of the meta data.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:31:35 pm »
Dumb question of the day....

Why would you want to take it off the 'net?

The firewall is pretty good (AFAIK) and if you're on an old dial-up link, the pain of installing would probably not be worth enduring (imagine downloading that much data at modem speeds.....)

So, assuming you have broadband.....
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

tycoon79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:23:48 am »
Dumb question of the day....

Why would you want to take it off the 'net?

The firewall is pretty good (AFAIK) and if you're on an old dial-up link, the pain of installing would probably not be worth enduring (imagine downloading that much data at modem speeds.....)

So, assuming you have broadband.....

Sorry not interested with no value comment....

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:56 pm »
Sorry not interested with no value comment....
Well, excuse me!!!

According to your status, you're new around here! It takes a lot of balls to walk into a room of strangers and throw your weight around like that, so respect.

Now, my question is valid. Providing background to questions like yours can actually help people answer them properly. Also, most questions posed by one person ultimately end up helping others (at least those who bother to search the forum before posting  >:() so having more information will help them!

If you actually DO have a dial-up connection, then MCE may well keep polling and causing the link to come up, costing money. If it's that you have an unreliable broadband connection, then you will probably not experience issues, as such (other then when upgrading) however you might need to tune the system to re-try database updates etc. If it's that you are installing the system at home, then re-deploying it somewheer with no internet connection (maybe a holiday home) then you will have different results.

You may not have liked my sense of humour in the opening line, but that is NO reason to be rude.
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65