Author Topic: Suggestion for new forum category "DIY Home Installations"  (Read 7422 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Suggestion for new forum category "DIY Home Installations"
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:46:25 pm »
Hi all,

I understand our forums are donated, but thought I would suggest this new forum category if it is possible to go along with "Users", "Developers", etc.

In the interests of attracting as many people as possible to the project, I reckon it would be a good idea to have an area dedicated to helping each other out with the DIY aspects of trying to achieve that perfect installation in your home. I'm sure there are those (I know I am one of them) that know absolutely nothing about programming, but use LinuxMCE and want to contribute in more ways.

For example, I have built various cases and mounts and things for wall mounting PCs, and for mounting PCs to the back of the TV, etc. I've also managed to destroy my wall in the process of installing a deeper back box for my Z-Wave light switch, but managed to successfully fill it, sand it, fill it, sand it, fill it, sand it, and paint it to match (I'm in rented accommodation, actually had a house inspection yesterday... passed ;)). I also have lots of other experience with general fabrication (I am a mechanical design engineer) and general building work. This is the kind of the knowledge that I feel could be passed on to make the DIY side of things a bit easier for those willing to have a go at it.

What does everybody think? Would this be useful to you?

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Suggestion for new forum category "DIY Home Installations"
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:26:40 pm »
imho, we should stick with the few areas given. People search for stuff, so they don't really care. And adding additiona subforums only makes it harder to decide where stuff belongst.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:35:54 pm »
Personally, I only ever go to the individual forums when I want to start a new thread anyway. The rest of the time I use "Show unread posts since last visit" or, like pos says, I search.

As a result, I agree with you about people posting this stuff, but having a new forum for it makes no difference to me (one way or the other  ;))

Having said that, I WOULD be very interested in posts of this nature (perhaps in Users?) as I'm keen to get my MCE hidden as much as possible and, of particular interest to me, is mounting MDs to the back of the TV. (Has anyone found a way to VESA-mount an MD, but still wall-mount the TV? A kind a VESA case with "pass through" VESA mounts?)
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:58:45 pm »
hmm, a "tooltime" category for "HOWTO demolish my wall" and such would make sense in my eyes..

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
imho, we should stick with the few areas given. People search for stuff, so they don't really care. And adding additiona subforums only makes it harder to decide where stuff belongst.

I hear what you are saying, however...

1. I think that posts regarding the DIY aspects are a lot easier to distinguish from the Users/Developers posts, but I do see your point.
2. I think the main advantage of adding a subforum is that people would realise that it is OK to ask these questions; I would hate to think that people don't ask these questions because they feel that this forum is not the place to do it.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:26:37 pm »
Personally, I only ever go to the individual forums when I want to start a new thread anyway. The rest of the time I use "Show unread posts since last visit" or, like pos says, I search.

As a result, I agree with you about people posting this stuff, but having a new forum for it makes no difference to me (one way or the other  ;))

Having said that, I WOULD be very interested in posts of this nature (perhaps in Users?) as I'm keen to get my MCE hidden as much as possible and, of particular interest to me, is mounting MDs to the back of the TV. (Has anyone found a way to VESA-mount an MD, but still wall-mount the TV? A kind a VESA case with "pass through" VESA mounts?)

This is not so hard to do
Asus EEEpc's have these mounts.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 04:38:44 pm »

The best way to achieve this without spending loads and loads on a fancy case (which you are going to hide anyway!) is to get a TV mount that utilises a swing arm with a joint in the middle, AND doesn't have a huge footprint on the wall. There are wall mounts available on eBay that don't have the huge square mounting plate, but a long thin one instead (this kind of thing, they are available for bigger TVs also http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCD-TV-Wall-Mount-Bracket-Swing-Arm-20-22-26-27-32-537-/390207449449?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoom_TV_Furniture&hash=item5ada2d2969#ht_1202wt_1096).

Then, mount your mobo, PSU etc onto a bit of MDF, or use an old motherboard tray, and screw this directly to the wall, on the side of the mount that doesn't accommodate the arm when the TV is pushed back. Your TV should conceal the gubbins on the wall, plus it's a lot easier to perform maintenance on the MD if need be as you just need to pull the TV out, not completely unscrew it. You could even box it all in if you so wish, and push the TV back until it contacts the box.

You can also mount a slim DVD drive either to the back of the TV or on the wall (perhaps with a bit of a spacer), so your CDs pop out like one of those fancy Macs! I have done something similar with my freestanding TV (with MD around the back on the VESA mount) so that the CDs appear to pop out out of the TV at the top.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 04:39:26 pm »

This is not so hard to do
Asus EEEpc's have these mounts.

Yes but aren't they for free-standing displays?

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:46:48 am »
No I think you can still use the vesa mount, except you need longer screws

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 11:28:07 am »
No I think you can still use the vesa mount, except you need longer screws

Oh I see, I didn't know that. I think I would want to be sure that the case is meant for that purpose though, as it will be in quite a lot of compression, especially for larger displays.

You would still need a VESA mount of a particular size though right? Just thinking that my lounge tele has a VESA mount 400 mm x 200 mm, so wouldn't be suitable.

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »
It indeed would be interesting to hear about DIY projects other LMCErs are doing.
Separate forum category for sharing this would be well warranted.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »
It indeed would be interesting to hear about DIY projects other LMCErs are doing.
Separate forum category for sharing this would be well warranted.

Thank you. Anybody else?

Was thinking it would also be a good place to do some youtube style "howto" videos and things like that.

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »
I definitely prefer more categories as they bring some structure to any kind of forum. I suggested also few categories week or so ago. Would love to see Home Automation topics separated.

For those who are looking to learn about Home Automation here is a tip: there are great Home Automation topics on MiCasaVerde forum also.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:49:19 pm »
I would like to add a request for a new forum as well.

"Off-Topic and Community Discussion".

I just posted a perfectly reasonable question about TV in general and have had it deleted! I have seen other questions that are far more off-topic posted (and replied to!) without such a draconian response.

An area for people to discuss things surrounding, but not directly related to, LinuMCE would be very useful, I feel, if the Admins are going to take this kind of action in the Users forum.
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 03:25:19 am »
I personally think a sub-category for DIY home installations / linuxmce related things would be a good idea. Yes yes i know people can search, but me thinks its not a bad idea. Users seems to be more of a technical operations area and separating the physical installation stuff just seems wise to me.

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.