Author Topic: Install new server as a Core  (Read 2976 times)

kvelland

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Install new server as a Core
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:15:30 pm »
Hi, I have been reading the tutorials for installing LinuxMCE.

The problem is that the pictures in the DVD install guide is not the same at the one I'm using. I'm trying to install LinuxMCE with the Kubuntu 8.04 distro. But I never get any choice making the machine a core only machine as it says in the tutorial.

Is there another way to do this?

I've been using linux for some time, but I'm still a newbie, so sorry if this question is really stupid :)

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Install new server as a Core
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:29:46 pm »
Should be 0810

kvelland

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:06:49 pm »
Ok. But still, how do I make it a pure Core before installing?

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »
I have seen this question arise before and I believe the response is to install UI1.

I am in the office at the moment can't verify the file name, but I believe it is in the pluto.conf, there is the option to start the MD or not, have not interfered with it, have been having other issues

kvelland

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »
I have seen that post somewhere. Put what is UI1. And where do I install it?

klanmce

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »
When you doing the install and you reach to configuring the graphics settings in AVwizard, first you choose the connector and then the resolution, and then you change the User Interface (UI) to be used, the first is UI1 which is the lightest weight.

The file I mentioned is correct and located in /etc. If you compare the one on the core focusing on core only and media director only config, the one on core has autostart for core and MD configured to on, while the one on an MD has autostart for core off but MD on:
CORE
AutostartCore=1
AutostartMedia=1
MD
AutostartCore = 0
AutostartMedia = 1

I cannot verify if it works, have not tested it, simple used the UI1, which came in handy when my two MD's were in use by others, so I sat down by my core/hybrid and watch a pre-recorded episode of megastructures.

Also do not know if it will break anything, plan to try it out sometime.