Author Topic: soundsystem with ethernet  (Read 3928 times)

maverick0815

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
soundsystem with ethernet
« on: July 24, 2010, 07:09:52 pm »
Just today I've been doing some windowshopping in the mall checking out a possible new soundsystem. Some of them had a RS232, but I also noticed some with an ethernet-port...is it possible to use that to control the receiver, or will it only be used for streaming from the net?
What are you experiences with that, or what models are you guys using?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: soundsystem with ethernet
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:54:02 pm »
Most of the regular soundsystem use the network port for streaming only.

I know of two devices you can control over the network: The Roku Soundbridge range, and the Squeezebox range of products.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 11:51:03 pm »
The Roku Soundbrige is not being controlled by lmce. It is recognized slimserver is downloaded, and nothing else. No control.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 12:06:48 am »
pw44,

I did not say, that LinuxMCE has a device template for it, did I?

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:11:45 am »
No, you didn't. I did. Roku Soundbridge is recognised and controlled by slim server streamer, even if it does not work.

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:03:21 am »
Hi Guys

I get my self and Onkyo TX-NR708 Sound System. I love it..
I found the "Control over Network" option and from what I have read it can control the sound system same way as RS232.
I want to try and create a Device template. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just downloaded the command file from the site so I hope to get LMCE to control the system.
Is there any templates I can look at?
Thanks
C

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:54:24 am »
UPDATE:

Ok So I have enabled my System to be controlled over Network. After a few days of searching I manage to find a few forms that help with my investigation. From what I understand you can use Telnet to communicate with you system just like you will do with RS232. It was suggested to use Hercules SETUP HW to do my test to make sure I get the commands correct. I have successfully connected and send commands to my system.
My question is: how would I go about creating the device template in webmin? And what would I use to send the commands?
Will LMCE make a telnet connection and stay connected? I don't mind just want to make sure I understand the workings..
Please if any one can help me with this, it will be create.
Thanks
C

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:58:10 am »
I think http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/How_to_add_your_own_GSD_device might be of help.
Look at the Proliphix NT series thermostat for an example. The thermostat uses the HTTP protocol, but by selecting a different port and leaving out the HTTP headers you should be able to communicate over telnet.

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:31:40 am »
Hi

Thanks I will have a play with this over the next week and let you guys know how I get..
C