Author Topic: Headless core without graphical setup on first boot?  (Read 3279 times)

Silverskull

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Headless core without graphical setup on first boot?
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:47:31 am »
Just wondering if there's a way to run the Core on a headless server without first requiring graphical setup.  I have a rack-mounted server that I'm not using that I feel would be perfect for the job... but it doesn't have a graphics card and adding one would be a real pain.  Is there any way to go about doing this at this point?

Also, a little note here... I could try using the onboard graphics to start with, but... ehh... didn't work too well last time I tried it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:49:49 am by Silverskull »

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
Re: Headless core without graphical setup on first boot?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:14:34 am »
AFAIK currently you can do this only if you install LinuxMCE on machine with graphics card, edit /etc/inittab so that X doesn't start and then transfer image of whole HDD to other machine.

You can also run it in VirtualBox if you use that server for other stuff.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

rperre

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:22:15 pm »
just try the onboard and keep the setting to an absolute minimum UI1 640x480 or something.
You should be fine then setting it up, after the initial setup you should be able to ssh into the core and use webadmin remotely.

Richard

Silverskull

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:53 am »
Alright, I suppose I'll try the onboard graphics to start with.  I'm actually not using the server for anything else (have a spare that isn't doing anything at the moment) and my previous attempts at virtualizing a core have been entirely unsuccessful, so I really don't want to go down that route.  I mean, I suppose it would be a good idea, but the graphical setup at the beginning just causes so many problems for me.

Moving the server first, though, so I'm not sure when I'll actually get to try it - hopefully over the weekend.