Author Topic: [SOLVED] Audio not playing in LinuxMCE but can hear it in all other terminals  (Read 2245 times)

team_steeze

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I'm having a weird issue with my audio that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere.

Computer at issue is an MD with an MCP51 onboard sound card (SigmaTel STAC9227).
When running the AV Wizard I get no sound.  While the test sound file is playing, I CAN hear it if I switch to any other terminal; tty2, tty3, etc...
Upon completing the AV Wizard and running the MD, which runs perfectly other than this issue, the same problem persists.  For example, if I launch MythTV I have no sound but as soon as I switch to another terminal, I can hear the MythTV Audio.
KDE Desktop exhibits the same symptoms.
I have had this specific computer working

Here's where it gets even weirder.
I have another MD with the same hardware and I don't have this issue.  The only hardware difference is that on the non-working MD, I have added in a nVidia 8400 graphics card.
The ONLY difference that I can find between the two is that when I pull up Alsamixer and hit F2, I can see that on the working MD I am running ALSA Version 1.0.17.  On the non-working MD, it shows that Alsa Version 1.0.23 is running AND that it was compiled for kernel 2.6.27-17-generic.
Why would these two identical MDs have different ALSA versions?  I have not manually changed ALSAs at all.  Furthermore, could this version difference explain this bizarre scenario?

Any and all help/pointers are greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:21:03 am by team_steeze »

team_steeze

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Update:
After many hours, MD rebuilds, various ALSA version installs, and much gnashing of teeth, I have resolved this issue by running my audio directly to my receiver and not through the TV first.
Though I am still at a loss as to why the TV isn't passing an audio signal when the screen is on LinuxMCE/Kubuntu but yet will pass it when the screen is on another terminal ultimately, who cares as long as it works?
Maybe my experience will help someone in the future.

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Maybe check your BIOS to see if there is anything relating to which audio hardware to use? Perhaps the addition of the nVidia card is confusing it or something (don't ask me why). Perhaps quickly check that both BIOSs are the same, they could be different.

Are both MDs up to date? Getting both ALSAs to the same version will tell you whether it's the version that's to blame.

Not very helpful I know, but as you say, very weird problem!
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps