Author Topic: LinuxMCE / KNX hardware requirement for lighting solution.  (Read 31872 times)

ggraja

• View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE / KNX hardware requirement for lighting solution.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »
I wanted to come back to this post with something that made sense and hence the long hibernation.

The test rig is planned.

SIEMENS N 125/01 Power Supply 640 MA - Chosen since most forums saids safe to go with 640ma rather than 320ma.
DaliControl SC64 IP - has a ethernet port, display which allows dali programming on the device itself.
KNX Panel 12-fold with LCD Display - Model Largho R12 LCD
Siemens KNX IP Router N 146

I have downloaded and installed ETS4 Demo version. The KNX website states that ETS4 Demo limitation is "Maximum of 3 KNX devices per project"

I definately need a power supply, not too sure if that is counted as a device. I do need KNX IP device for programming and comissioning one device which would be a DALI gateway in this case and a 12 fold switch panel. I am hoping power supply is not counted and I can get my test rig up on ETS4 Demo Version - All suggestions are welcome.

Once this is up, I want to connect this to a LinuxMCE machine and fool around.

On the visualization front, I have managed to get a demo licence from Iridium. I would also have Global cache components for AV controls, so I was looking at Irule and Command fusion softwares since I plan on having iPod touch and iPads in the whole scheme of things mixing and matching various setups.

Thank you once again Hari for getting me started on KNX - I am kind of lost but exploring my way around.

ggraja

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 11:55:15 pm »
KNX is a solution which works without a computer. That is correct. If you want to utilize iPod Touch to control your KNX network, you have two choices:
1) Use LinuxMCE - This means, your iPod Touch tells LinuxMCE to do stuff. LinuxMCE talks to the IP/KNX gate, which in turn talks to the KNX actuator.
2) Have a KNX capable software running on your iPod Touch - I do not know of any, but that does not mean nothing exists.

Centralized wiring is always better imho, than decentralized. Or a mixture of both, which is what I have.

What you should think about is, whether or not LinuxMCE fits into your scheme of things. If it does, I would use IR blaster/receiver which are LinuxMCE compatible, regardless of KNX vs. ZWave, i.e. either a regular GC-100-6 for example, or, if you have MDs scattered around, USB-UIRTs.

@posde I have been extensively looking for KNX capable software running on iPod touch that does not require a server and I have come across an app ayControl and one of the things that caught my eye was the statement that said "no server necessary"

http://aycontrol.com/en/EIB-KNX-iPhone-iPad/Details/Why-ayControl
"With ayControl you can manage your whole house, because it offers direct communication via iPhone or iPad (no server necessary) and real time presentation of your smart home."

I am looking forward for your expert comments and advice and if anyone on this forum has tried this app.

ggraja

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 11:51:51 am »
A big thank you to HARI for initiating me on KNX.

After a long wait and struggle, I finally have a small KNX test rig up and ready!!!

Some of the questions that I posed have been answered after my personal struggle and in one instance writing to the KNX org.

1. Is the KNX power supply counted as a Device?
The KNX power supply is not counted as a device.

2. What happens if my Dali controller goes down?
The controller I have actually turns all the lights on when it is turned off or DA+ and DA- wires are disconnected.

3. Does the KNX IP gateway count as a device?
No, The one used for programming the bus and assigning parameters does not count as a device. That being said I was unable to assign and address nor program the IP Gateway itself. I guess this happens because the device is being used by ETS4 to program the other devices.

To Do List.
The switch panel I procured has a temperature sensor and the two buttons on the top row have been assigned for that function. I need to understand how I can put that function to use and whether the top two buttons can be re-assigned to to a different functional assignment.

I also have a small test rig setup for Z-Wave with Vera, some ACT switches and Dimmers. I did manage to procure a single gang and double gang switch from China. Yet to test them though.

My take is I love KNX all the way, at-least for now.

I have successfully used the Demo Version of ETS4 for programming my test rig.

Test rig :

Hardware
Power Supply : SIEMENS N 125/01 Power Supply 640 MA - one
Dali Gateway : IPAS DaliControl SC64 IP - one ( for now I have only one DALI ballast with a T5 Flouroscent tube)
KNX Panel 12-fold with LCD Display - Model Largho R12 LCD - one
IP Gateway / Programming interface : ComBridge MCG (multi control gateway) - one

Software
ETS4.0 - Demo version - Installed on my Windows7 laptop.

I understand that my obsession with KNX has kept me off LinuxMCE for a while. I would be seeking my dear friend Valent Turkovic's help with LinuxMCE. I was suggested to go for a LinuxMCE core with an ion processor. Valent claims his consumes only 20Watts. I was impressed by the Mac Mini's power consumption at 14W. Open remote looks promising from an app standpoint.

I am here to make my contributions to this community and would like to thank HARI again for initiating me on KNX.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:32:46 am by ggraja »

yousuf

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:34 pm »
Hi guys,
Good to see the discussion.
I have worked on KNX & ZWave products & gateways,We
have couple of gateway which can trigger between KNX to
ZWave & vice-versa.

Also Z-Wave products are available in India now.

Many thanks.