Author Topic: What devices are you running Web orbiter 2.0 on?  (Read 93475 times)

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What devices are you running Web orbiter 2.0 on?
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2012, 05:59:35 am »
Digging at an old thread just because I wasn't around when this came up.  Never too late to thank someone for good work.

I absolutely love web-orbiter 2.0 and use it on lots of devices in my house.  As you said in your first few posts you developed it for use in in-wall applications, I also am looking for 'easy' ways of adding orbiters to in-wall mounts around my home.  Because it runs in a browser I am looking at extremely cheap tablets, checkout aisle hardware.  Touch-to-wake and browser going to hibernate have been two areas I am critical on as having to press a tiny power button or type a login/device select defeats the purpose of having a readily available orbiter in the placement I am adding them (next to light switches).  Would you mind if I asked what devices you like to use for these type of in-wall applications?  My screen/device size is pretty narrow because if I exceed 7" diagonal screen or 8'ish" diagonal device size I can't make it look proper in a standard wall plate.  I can stretch my custom made plate covers some but the more I do the more the eye tells you something isn't quite right.

To update this thread my quick update of devices running WO2.0 is:

Sony PS Vita - Vibrant and beautiful, my favorite and most responsive WO
HP t5500 thin client, running Win CE 4.20?, IE - worked w/ keyboard or mouse, didn't have a touchscreen to test with
Nintendo DS XL - same resolution as suggested for DS
iPhone 4 w/ iOS 5 - several issues with Dianemo and Roaming Orb (trac ticketed) but works great w/ WO2.0

Some devices not quite able to run WO2.0

Nintendo DS lite - I get memory errors using, this uses the same Opera version as the DS XL
Sony Playstation Portable 2000 (PSP thin) - believe this to be a java issue
Project boxes (several) - I have been trying to do minimal requirement browser based WO2.0 on several project machines using Tiny Core Linux and Damn Small Linux.  I forget the various browsers I have tried but I am trying things such as IceWeaver and Lynx with hopes of keeping install size as small as possible.  If I get something working I will let you know, provided it's helpful to you.

I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2012, 08:37:31 am »
Thanks for the post, AG, this is also an area I'm interested in as is bushtech... specifically for use as a security camera viewer as well. Will check out the devices you mentioned.

The bummer on the security camera viewer is that at present web orbiter doesn't show security cameras (at least not on mine... ). How have you powered your devices? Any of them low enough draw to do POE? That would also be nice...

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »
I've watched "Security Cameras" (in my case Tschak's screen camera device) on the web orbiter. The trick is, you need to touch the screen to let it update. Works for me.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:48 pm »
My trick for getting security cam feeds to WO2.0 has been in the camera setup.

I tried many times to get motion detection working and failed repeatedly.  I then had a really good chat with a lmce veteran who (after a few /deep breaths) put it simple and said "use motion detectors to detect motion."

Eureka!  I don't need a program to sit there comparing stills and trying to pick out differences, 5+ times a second.  Now my cameras are set up as video streams.  In the D-Link browser I changed <IP>/home.htm to display java instead of .jpeg stills.  The difference on all orbiters is noticably smoother video since it is not dependent on refreshing the page.  Once I set <IP>/home.htm to java view, I checked page source to find the frame and applied that to my address bar:  <IP>/jview.htm? (I forget now).  This gives me real time video without the rest of the browser page, that URL is where I point my camera templates and haven't had an issue with any orbiter cam view.

I am certain that I misunderstand the way motion/motion wrapper/still view & video feed works but I am happy with my settings now.  If I think I hear someone pull in the driveway I hit the camera feed and check.  When I add motion sensors (stupidly expensive little buggers) then I can worry about events that auto-record, email alerts, etc.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2012, 09:58:48 pm »
Sounds interesting, AG, but not sure if I'm following you 100%

I tried many times to get motion detection working and failed repeatedly.  I then had a really good chat with a lmce veteran who (after a few /deep breaths) put it simple and said "use motion detectors to detect motion."

It sounds as if you are saying here that you aren't setting up the camera as a child of the motion device. Is that correct? What is it a child of? Can you screenshot one of your setups so I can see without giving too much away.

Not that I'm wanting to toss motion, though, I got it set up no-problems first time and I'm loving the motion events and have all sorts of plans for working with them. But I would be interested to see how you set up the devices differently.... I could even potentially do both, I'd imagine, if there was some benefit to not going the motion-wrapper route.

Also a bit confused about your "video stream" story... that thing about doing "view source" to find the actual video stream, well, that's a given with IP cameras isn't it? I mean you always have to do that to get them working don't you (ie isolate the video stream URL and stick that in the camera template)?

This gives me real time video without the rest of the browser page, that URL is where I point my camera templates and haven't had an issue with any orbiter cam view.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2012, 10:03:19 pm »
I've watched "Security Cameras" (in my case Tschak's screen camera device) on the web orbiter. The trick is, you need to touch the screen to let it update. Works for me.
Ha Ha.... never tried that. It does, indeed. So the CAM is viewable in the web orbiter. Pity it's not streaming video but I guess that's in line with the whole low bandwidth story.... cool that it works, though, can't believe I didn't try that!

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2012, 02:23:21 am »
I can screen shot and post my setup screens on my photobucket, no problem.  At the moment though I am not actually using linuxmce for anything other than KDE desktop and my device tree is empty.  I might have a restore point with all my devices configured I can load up or I can put the cam back temporarily to show how I normally use it. 

You are correct though that there is no motion or motion wrapper anywhere in my device tree.  I use Advanced IP Camera (/hat tip to the author of that template) as it implements DCE I create it as a top level device and I could be wrong but I believe it defaults to controlled by CORE.  This D-Link has some other features I was not using like it's own built in motion detection, email notifications, etc.  I struggled for so long I just got burnt out on cameras and decided as long as they stream I am happy.  One nice feature though is that although its not associated with LinuxMCE, it is up and running right now.  To view it I just open a browser and click a bookmark to view the feed.  With it on my external network, I can also still use all the MyDLink iphone and remote browser features like zoom etc.

It is a given that you need to isolate the video feed on almost any IP camera template, though normally you specify a image location and a video location.  It was my understanding that the still image was used by motion and was what is getting pushed to Web Orbiter 2.0.  Where my device data asks for image location I put in the video feed, and then repeat it once more in the video feed url area.  Prior to switching to java view as default I also noticed that when I used the .cgi image address instead of the .jpeg for my image URL I got streaming video on Web Orbiter 2.0 devices.  What you see when going to camera view is a constantly loading screen because the image keeps changing and never finishes 'loading'.   

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2012, 09:01:38 am »
AG, I've continued in a new thread because we were getting a bit off-topic here...

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2012, 11:11:35 pm »
LG Ally : works with no issues.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2012, 09:53:01 am »
Add +

Nook Color @ 1024 x 600 Normal Horizontal (3:4)