Author Topic: MD's are slow to boot after update to 8.10  (Read 4070 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
MD's are slow to boot after update to 8.10
« on: July 04, 2010, 04:35:06 am »
Anyone experiencing very long boot times on MD's? It used to only take about 2-3 min. per MD now it takes about 10. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Core: Broken :(

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MD's are slow to boot after update to 8.10
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:31:46 am »
Hello,

I just asked about this on IRC last night- my MD boot times went from around 2 min on a revo to about 25 after an update.  I didn't change anything on my network, but found that by turning off my dns-323 the boot times went back to 2 or so minutes.....  was told to get my chair off the cat5 cable  :)

I would be interested if other experienced the same and if turning off the nas fixed the issue....

FWIW

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:05:12 am »
I found something else interesting as well. I installed a third MD and it will boot up eventually as long as no other MDs are online. I can even start a movie and all is good. Then I let it sit and turn on a second MD. And the first one suddenly looses all connections with the movie and audio database. Only 2 movies show up but will not play. I even tried re-syncing from the admin Media sync page. I try rebooting that MD and still no change. It seems that if I have more then one MD going I am unable to access my media.

Lighting still works though.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:10:33 am by fearingsept »

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »
Maybe it has something to do with this :
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10363.0

If you log in to the MD using ssh moonXX from the core and start top you see a ch* (chown/chgrp/...) command running.

Viking

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:55:59 am »
There were some updates that I had not yet installed and now it seems my boot issue is much improved. It still takes somewhat longer to boot but now it seems that everything is working.. Well almost everything. Myth is still not up but I am working on that.

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:13 am »
I mentioned this back in May http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10052.msg68806#msg68806
Now with snapshot "23165", I removed username/password from my NAS and made it access to all, the MD boots in 5 minutes where before (with user/pass) I had to shut down the NAS and boot all the MDs then power the NAS.
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »
have a look if it has someting to do with my post above.
That problem is still there and makes my MD boot take like "forever" depends on hov many files you have on your storage.

Viking