Author Topic: Ready to get started  (Read 3015 times)

singletrackmind

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Ready to get started
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:40:34 pm »
Hey guys,
I've been using Windows MCE for a couple years now and have a few questions about how certain procedures relate in linux mce. I have been using a product called slysoft HD DVD copy to rip DVD's for playback and a different app called My Movies to get the artwork, etc. from what I can tell it's stored in an xml file in each of the folders directories.

Next questions are about how to allocate my hardware.
I was thinking of dismantling my Windows Vista Media center and re-purposing the hardware. I have (10) 750gb drives and was thinking of purchasing a raid controller to get as many of them up and running as I can for movie storage. Maybe build a freeNAS box? then take the video and sound card and put them in a small form factor PC and connecting that to my TV. Maybe run ubuntu 10.4 on it or maybe Win7 since I have a licensed copy?

So, what apps would I use for ripping and cover art and does anybody think the "My Movies" data will transfer?

I have a couple PCs that I was thinking of setting up for the kids to use as Media Director's. I don't have any cool touch pad devices or smart phones aside from the BlackBerry Curve my work makes me carry. My kids have a couple Nintendo DS's that have access to the wireless network?

We have vonage (i know, i know) and I was thinking of dumping it and going with a couple ip phones at some point after the movies are migrated to linux mce. Anything special I need for the linux mce box to manage it? I've seen some other pbx apps out there for linux that look slick.

So what kind of resources should I allocate to the server? Should I skip the freeeNAS box and just put a raid card and 6 drives in a box running kubuntu and let it fly? Also, what can I get away with for the PC connected to my home theater? Hmm, now that I think about it, could I leave the media center in tact and connect to the NTFS partitions and just add a new PC for the server and make the media center a director...

I've just discovered the wiki for linux mce so forgive me if i'm asking all the noob questions that have been answered. I'm still researching. I'm thinking maybe I should just dive in and get it installed on a PC and figure it out from there.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Ready to get started
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:35:38 pm »
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

singletrackmind

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »
Perfect, working through the reading now. Thanks

singletrackmind

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »
Is anybody loading 8.10 on kubuntu 10.4?

I have an install setup with two nics now. However, i will have to get up in the addict to run some new cables to get the server in between my router and cable modem.  >:( Couldn't I setup NAT or something else to get around having to put my LMCE on the public network?

Lastly, if I keep my Windows MCE running can I manage my movies that are on that box if I have a gigabyte connection?

Good new, I've acquired a tablet PC for my orbiter to use in the living room! :) Put ubuntu laptop on it and loving it. Can't wait to get my media center setup and get this setup as an orbiter.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 05:34:46 am »
Is anybody loading 8.10 on kubuntu 10.4?

No the kubuntu  version must match the linuxmce version

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/