Author Topic: proper dvd playback behavior and automation documentation  (Read 2495 times)

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
proper dvd playback behavior and automation documentation
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »
What should happen when a dvd or .dvd finishes playing? Should it go back to the dvd menu and stay there or should it terminate and return to the screensaver? Seems like it used to go back to the screensaver but I cannot remember.

Mine is currently going back to the dvd menu and staying there until I act on it. This makes .dvd playlists pointless because if I exit out of the menu it sends me to the screensaver and does not continue to the next .dvd.

Next question

I seem to be having difficulty finding documentation on the proper way to implement commands into linuxmce as far as automating functions. They seem to be a little less than positively intuitive to figure out. For example, the way to start Myth and tune to a channel at a specific time is something like MHmediaplay and not Mythtv player - on. Then a separate command must be sent to change the channel because it all runs together and doesn't tune if you implement the commands together. It has been a bit since I did that but it was something like that. This is OK, but not terribly intuitive. As a result I was hoping to find a how-to somewhere.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: proper dvd playback behavior and automation documentation
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »
It goes back to the DVD menu, and stays there. This is the known behaviour of libxine.

There are no wizards for media scenarios, and some should be made, at least until we can rewrite the web admin. There is plenty of architecture in the Web Admin to add additional wizards/etc (much like the lighting or climate wizards), but somebody just needs to DO IT.

As for the media system structure, your disconnect happens because you do not understand the system. You're trying to control the end points, instead of letting the system make decisions based on what you want to play and where....

By using the MH (The Media Handler), the system knows that you're wanting to play that media, and can send the appropriate messages to other parts of the system.

As for tuning, this is a known issue, and can be resolved by a little extra code in the mythtv player. For now, assume that anything placed in the Filename field of MH Play Media starting with CHAN:XXXX, is a channel identifier. You can see these channel identifiers by looking at the chanid column in the channel field of the database. so i1806 would tune to channel ID 806 for me (which would be my cable box's channel 806) after MythTV starts. It isn't like this now, but assume that it will be, as soon as I or somebody wites the relevant code. This also gets rid of the extra tune to channel command, as it is now done inside the mythtv player at start.

AGAIN, before you start retorting, I KNOW this isn't ideal, but no UI has been written to handle this, so you're sending commands manually. Either help us write the UI, or deal with it. Those are the breaks.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:34:00 pm »
I have added the ability for the TV media type (1) to accept an initial channel to tune in the Filename parameter of MH Play Media.

The ticket is here, and will be in the next snapshot:
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/737

-Thom

lmwashere

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 01:59:25 pm »
didn't mean to come across as whining or anything. Was just asking because I didn't know. Thanks for the info though, and for the mod.

Josh