Author Topic: Am I going to mess up everything again???  (Read 3680 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Am I going to mess up everything again???
« on: November 17, 2006, 10:01:53 am »
Hi all

.42 has been released some days ago, my hybrid is permanently connected to internet and my ADSL has not showed any kind of problem, so I would expect that the upgrade has hit also my box. According to what I've read on this forum a popup message should come up on Orbiters as soon as the upgrade download is complete, in order for me to reboot system and have upgrade applied.

So far no popup appeared, and I begin to be a little worried because the last 2 upgrade had the same pattern (long time from update release, no notification popup) and they ended up in a real nightmare.

On last two upgrade I decided after a week time or so to try and reboot hybrid  because I supposed that all replacements should have been dowloaded, but unfortunately in both cases something went very wrong and after reboot almost everything got broken and in the end I had to go for a fresh install.

This time I would like to possibly avoid to start everything from scratch, so I would like to have some tips on how to properly proceed.

One thing to know is whether ALL updates have been succesfully downloaded or not.
Apart of the notification popup (that anyway is not showing), is there any other reliable way to get this info from my hybrid?

And in case something is still missing, what is the proper procedure to fix / download again missing pieces? Would a simple /usr/pluto/bin/downloadUpdates.sh settle everything?

Thanks for support and regards

Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 02:55:50 pm »
Marco,

.41 was the first release where I have managed to have everything working and running how I wanted.

The current .42 release has resulted in me being unable to use my dvb cards with either VDR or Mythtv so if you are using this functionality I would not upgrade at present.

I have had to do complete rebuilds following upgrades in the past so know how frustrating this can be and hope that I am not facing another one now.

Unfortunately I am not sure where the downloaded packages are stored so hopefully someone else will be able to confirm how to check if the packages have already been downloaded.

You should be able to disable the update script using the web admin page.

I can also confirm I was not asked if I wanted to upgrade as it happened when I rebooted.

Cheers

NOS

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:10:23 pm »
Hi,

I also didn't get any prompt - after hybrid was rebooted, upgrade was performed....

Regards,

Rob.

To check things :
dpkg -l '*pluto*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                 Version                              Description
+++-====================================-====================================-========================================================================================
ii  asterisk-pluto                       1.2.9-3                              Custom packaged asterisk
ii  bootsplash-theme-pluto               0.1-1pluto3                          The bootsplash theme for Pluto Systems
un  kernel-image-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686   <none>                               (no description available)
un  linux-doc-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686      <none>                               (no description available)
un  linux-doc-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686      <none>                               (no description available)
ii  linux-headers-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686  2.6.16.20-1                          Header files related to Linux kernel, specifically,
ii  linux-image-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686    2.6.16.20-1                          Linux kernel binary image for version 2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686
ii  linux-image-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686    2.6.16.20-3                          Linux kernel binary image for version 2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686
un  linux-image-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686-sm <none>                               (no description available)
un  linux-source-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686   <none>                               (no description available)
un  linux-source-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686   <none>                               (no description available)
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686  1.0.8762-2pluto1                     NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686  1.0.8774-1pluto2                     NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686
ii  nvidia-kernel-2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686- 1.0.8774-1pluto2                     NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.16.20-pluto-2-686-smp
ii  pluto-add-software                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-alsa-sound-drivers             2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-app-server                     2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-asterisk                       2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-avwizard                       2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-avwizard-skin-basic            2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-avwizard-sounds                1.0-1                                <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-bluetooth-dongle               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-boot-scripts                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-capture-card-scripts           2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-cddb-ident                     2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-confirm-dependencies           2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-convert-mac                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-createdevice                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-cx88                           2.0.0.40                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-database-settings              2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-dcecommon                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-dcerouter                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-dhcpd-plugin                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-disc-drive-functions           2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-disk-drive                     2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-disk-monitor                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-diskless-base                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-diskless-default               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-diskless-utils                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-dummy-console-tools            2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-dynamic-dns                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
un  pluto-generic-analog-camera          <none>                               (no description available)
un  pluto-generic-analog-capture-c       <none>                               (no description available)
ii  pluto-generic-serial-device          2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-hal-device-finder              2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-hald                           2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-icewm-config                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-install-scripts                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-irbase                         2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-ivtv-video-drivers             2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-kernel-upgrade                 2.0.0.41                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-libbd                          2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-libserial                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-local-database                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-media-database                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-messagesend                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-messagetrans                   2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-motion-wrapper                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-mysql2outlooksetup             0.1                                  <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-mythtv-backend-proxy           2.0.0.40                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-mythtv-player                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-mythtv-plugin                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-network-storage                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-newmdinteractor                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-nvidia-video-drivers           2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-orbiter                        2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-orbitergen                     2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-orbiterinstaller               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-photo-screen-saver             2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-pluto-main-db                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-pluto-media-db                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-pluto-security-db              2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-pluto-telecom-db               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-plutodhcp                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-plutoutils                     2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-pnp-detection                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-proxy-orbiter                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-pwc-camera-drivers             2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-qos                            2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-ra                             2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-remoteassistance               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-sample-media                   3                                    <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-sdl-helpers                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-security-database              2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-serializeclass                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-shiftstate                     2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-simplephone                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-skins-basic                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-smbfs                          2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-sound-card-scripts             2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-sqlcvs                         2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-std-plugins                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-storage-devices                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-system-database                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-telecom-database               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-test-serial-port               2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-text-to-speech                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-update-system                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-updateentarea                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-updatemedia                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-upgrade-helper                 2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-usb-uirt-0038                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-videolan-client                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-videolan-plugin                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-videolan-server                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-vipshared                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-vloopback                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-voicemail-monitor              2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-website-admin                  2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-website-support                2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-windowsce-libraries            2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-x-scripts                      2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-xine-player                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  pluto-xine-plugin                    2.0.0.42                             <insert up to 60 chars description>
ii  spca5xx-modules-2.6.16.20-pluto-1-68 20060501-1+2.6.16.20-1               spca5xx modules for Linux (kernel 2.6.16.20-pluto-1-686)
ii  video-wizard-videos-pluto            1.1                                  <insert up to 60 chars description>

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 12:22:06 pm »
Hi all

after a patient wait the mentioned notification screen popped up, so I felt confident to reboot.
Things went smoothly compared to previous upgrades, meaning that my box was able to reboot without freezing/stopping at X startup.
OnScreen orbiters are showing on hybrid and MD and this is a great result (not kidding ...)

Still have MythTv not working (as it was since .40) and other strange behaviour with lighting scenarios, but this is something that I will post in other threads.

Thanks anyway guys for your support
Marco