Author Topic: Web DT 366 Image  (Read 8712 times)

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
Web DT 366 Image
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:42 am »
I just got my hands on a WebDT 366 GX and I'm pretty sure its the sameone Ive seen on the videos.  Seems like the ultimate remote, but the link on the wiki is down and I couldn't find a link here so I figured I ask to see if someone knew of a working like to the WebDT366 orbiter image.

Thanks

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Web DT 366 Image
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:13:54 am »
I'm interested in finding the image too.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:35:01 am »
The image is not available for free anymore. I got tired of being flooded with support requests by cheapskates who wanted to buy cheap web pads from ebay and then expect me to give them support.

I spent hundreds of hours putting that image together, specifically for that tablet, and for a time, I DID supply a free copy.

However, after my server was compromised, I rebuilt it, and decided not to offer the image for free anymore.

Please contact tkmedia if you wish to obtain the image. Before you complain, do keep in mind, that the source code for virtually every part of the PadOrbiter is available in our source tree, so you can build and compile your own.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »
I spent hundreds of hours putting that image together, specifically for that tablet, and for a time, I DID supply a free copy.
hundreds of hours??? You must be kidding..

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:52:28 pm »
I agree, no reason why not to get some money from your hard work, if others are lazy to compile image or don't know how they should at least pay you for making it easy for them.

Guys pay up or contribute in some other way to this project, don't be just leeches.
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:39:43 pm »
I spent roughly a month and two weeks doing the initial version, don't you remember?

Edit: Okay, so I said hundreds.. close to a hundred.

-Thom

hundreds of hours??? You must be kidding..

br Hari
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:43:56 pm by tschak909 »

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:44:26 pm »

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:21:16 am »
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10246.0

Anyone interested in using that image should read this and apply the directions accordingly

http://webdt.org/index.php?topic=166.msg867#msg867

if you still have doubts on how to install the image PM me and I'll try to explain what I did to get it up and running.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:22:50 am by joerod »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 03:44:01 am »
The beta has known bugs that were resolved in the gamma build. Including that reloads would recursively re-spawn the launch process.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 03:45:37 am »
The orbiter build on the beta is also 0710.

if you wish to use new screens, such as the Game Player screens, and a few other missing screens, you will need to build a new Orbiter to place on the device.

-Thom

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »
Are updates included in the purchase of the PadOrbiter software?  Or are there any plans to continue updating it?  I don't really care about the new features but I hate spending $50 on software that was written for an old version of the OS even though it currently works with the latest beta of the OS.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:56:46 pm by rdmustang »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »
updates are free, if I can work out an update mechanism.

-Thom

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:24 pm »
Thom and I don't always see eye to eye but he at least deserves $50 for that Image.  I just got it last week and my system has a whole different feel from just using the ir remote.  I was on the fence at first but you really came through on this one Thom, It's really professional looking... really official.  Since the webdt has a speaker and mic can it be used as a "mobile speakerphone"?   I don't have phone service on my core so i have no way to check.  Anyway, this image is well worth $50.  Plus, I was able to install it on an old dell laptop i have laying in the scrap pile.  I didn't test any of it's functionality as i only did it out of curiosity but that tells me it may not be to hard to install this on other devices.  You may be able to ssh to it and install drivers as needed.

Thom my only criticism is with the instructions.  You deserve to get paid for this but you also have a responsibility to insure your customers know how to use your product.  I love the whole (what seems to be) automated check-out\delivery process, however the instructions in them are not clear, unified or complete.  Some steps are merely links to other post here on the forums.  I personally feel if I bought this from you I should get all the instructions and requirements from you, not a 7 page thread where 2 post are relevant.  I'm sorry but the instructions failed.  With a quick but detailed wiki page dedicated to this image (better than the one already in place) I'll be comfortable spending $100 and maybe more on this. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:42:48 pm »
I haven't created an automated update mechanism for the PadOrbiter yet, I had been side stepped with other things.

The idea was simply when new versions of the Orbiter were found on the core, that it would bounce the appropriate binaries to the orbiter pads automatically.

Thank you for buying an image, and as soon as we have a stable orbiter binary (we're done adding screens...each new screen requires a new binary), I will release an updated binary with install instructions.

-Thom

P.S. it could in theory be used as a mobile speakerphone, as it can run SimplePhone. It would require modifying the Telecom Plugin, and SimplePhone appropriately to handle the new use case. Right now, it is assumed that SimplePhone runs on media directors, and nothing else.

We would also need to modify the UI, and determine new logic, if you have a media director and an orbiter in a room, and you answer the phone, where and how should it answer? this is not as clear cut as it may seem, and will require some serious thought on how to present this in a non-confusing way to the user.

This, coupled with some modifications of Orbiter code to use a new device template (with the SimplePhone device defined) would allow for the device to be used as a phone extension...

-Thom
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:51:10 pm by tschak909 »

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:12:31 am »
If you want to donate some money to TSCHAK either use the paypal button on the homepage (goes straight to TSCHAK's account) or buy the image from tkmedia. If not, here is the new gamma image download location: http://www.linuxmce.org/webpad/

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation